List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PAUL WITH ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1218587

Location

CHURCH OF ST PAUL WITH ST LUKE, OLD CHESTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WirralMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 389265

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/10/2011

SJ38NW 789-1/4/280 28/03/74

BIRKENHEAD OLD CHESTER ROAD, Tranmere (West side) Church of St Paul with St Luke

(Formerly listed as Church of St Paul)

GV II

Parish church. 1854-5. By W. and J.Hay. Coursed and squared red sandstone with Welsh slate roofs. Nave with transepts, and chancel. Tower and spire to north of chancel. Massive tower with heavy angle buttresses, one housing stair turret. Door with shafts and hood mould over in north face. Second stage has triple trefoiled windows in chamfered arcading with coping over. Angles are heavy pinnacles to brooch spire with clock and tall thin louvred lucarnes forming bell-chamber lights. Nave has three 2-light Decorated windows to south and door towards east, against the projecting vestry which halances the tower to south of chancel. Massive west window of 5-lights. Scar of porch over north doorway within added hall complex. 4-light Decorated window to transepts with 5 trefoiled lancets below. 5-light Decorated east window, with crucifix as war memorial below. Interior: aisleless nave of 3 bays defined by pointed arched braced principal rafters carried on long wall posts springing from corbels. Shallow transepts forming a dramatically wide crossing, the roof trusses forming a quadripartite vault over. Moulded and chamfered chancel arch. Chancel screen dated 1910 and enriched 1922. By Hastwell Grayson. Ogee traceried open-work panels in Perpendicular style, and central enriched arch. Crucifix with figures of Saints Mary and John on coved canopy over. Pulpit in similar style erected when the screen was enriched, 1922. Elaborate painted reredos, the original centre-piece of between 1883 and 1897 representing Christ in majesty, the hinged wings a later addition (after 1907), with painted saints and angels. Marble octagonal font with low relief angels at the cardinal points. Stained glass: east window, angels and archangels. Figures of saints in north and south chancel windows, and white glazed ceramic low relief annunciation scene in lower part of south window. Figures of bishops and St George in north transept lower lights. Lower lights of south transept are scenes from the life of Mary, 1920-1922. Upper window the life of St Paul, 1922. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-).

Listing NGR: SJ3252486837

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Hubbard, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Cheshire - Date: 1971

National Grid Reference: SJ 32524 86837

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 04:44:15.