List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT WITH ST MARY

List entry Number: 1218565

Location

CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT WITH ST MARY, ST CUTHBERTS LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386848

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARLISLE

NY3955NE ST CUTHBERTS LANE 671-1/10/251 (West side (off)) 01/06/49 Church of St Cuthbert with St Mary

GV II*

Church of England church. Dated 1778 on weather vane, built by Messrs Hayton, Lowthian and Lowrey on a medieval site. Coursed red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth (all dressings of calciferous sandstone), with V-jointed quoins, string course, cornice and solid parapets. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables; lead cupola on tower. 8-bay nave with 3-storey west tower/porch and low single-bay chancel. Projecting tower has central C20 replacement west doors with patterned fanlight in quoined surround; similar surround sash window above with glazing bars and a similar vented belfry over keyed oculus. South face of nave has left and right plank doors in quoined surround. Leaded casement windows on 2 levels, those on ground floor with stained glass, all in stone surrounds. North face has had doorways similar to south face but one is blocked and the west one now inside added vestry; windows same as south face. Chancel has Venetian east window. Around the outer walls are numerous gravestones, some attached, and some wall plaques. INTERIOR: porch with flanking wooden stairs to galleries; numerous white marble wall plaques, one to Matthewman Hodgson Donald, died 1885, by Jas. Hilton of Manchester with portrait head. Nave has gallery on 3 sides supported on Tuscan columns, with upper tier of similar columns each having entablature and triglyphs. Flat plaster ceiling without embellishment. Numerous white marble wall plaques, one to the Giles family with veiled urn and pediment by Paul Nixson of Carlisle 1814; another with figure of child holding inverted torch and leaning on a wreathed urn to Elizabeth Connell by David Dunbar 1825; others signed Nelsons, Carlisle (Thomas & James Nelson). Late C18 box pews cut down. 1905 carved walnut choir stalls with carved angels; panelled organ casing of same date. 1905 pulpit is on rails by Cowans, Sheldon and Co (Crane makers of Carlisle) see Country Life (1942). One north window is made of fragments of medieval glass from the original church, reassembled by the York Glaziers in 1961; south windows are C20 depicting scenes from the life of St Cuthbert, by A.K. Nicholson Studios, London. Late C19 coloured marble font. Royal Arms of Victoria 1885 on gallery. Chancel has wall plaque to Reverend John Fawcett died 1851, with portrait bust by William Jackson of Cockermouth and London. 1880 stained glass east window to memory of Joseph Ferguson. HISTORY: One of two parish churches of Carlisle before its C19 expansion. Construction work recorded in Cumberland Pacquet, (1778) and its opening in Cumberland Pacquet (1779). Original drawings and specifications are in Cumbria County Record Office; architect's name not recorded. For details see church guide compiled by Ivan Renwick. (Country Life: 3 July 1942; Cumberland Pacquet: 1 September 1778; Cumberland Pacquet: 21 September 1779).

Listing NGR: NY3996555846

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Renwick, I, Church Guide Church of St Cuthbert with St Mary Carlisle
'Cumberland Pacquet' in 21 September, (1779)
'Cumberland Pacquet' in 1 September, (1778)
'Country Life' in 3 July, (1942)

National Grid Reference: NY 39964 55843

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 09:26:14.