List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: APPULDURCOMBE

List entry Number: 1218394

Location

APPULDURCOMBE, APPULDURCOMBE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Isle of WightUnitary AuthorityGodshill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 392724

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GODSHILL

SZ57NW APPULDURCOMBE ROAD 1353-0/6/116 Appuldurcombe 21/07/51

GV I

Derelict mansion. Built 1701-13 by Sir Robert Worsley, continued by Richard Worsley in the 1770s and completed by the Earl of Yarborough in the 1820s. Under restoration by English Heritage at time of survey. Architect now considered to be John James, altered by James Wyatt in the 1770s and with porte-cochere added in the early C19. Built of Isle of Wight greensand ashlar with Portland stone dressings and slate roof with stone chimneystacks. Plan is central 3 storey square with 4 projecting pavilions at corners, linked by an 1830s colonnade on the south front and porte-cochere of 1830s on west front. The Principal or East elevation comprizes a central portion of 3 storeys 5 windows with projecting end pavilions of 3 bays with 2 bays of blank niches in sides of pavilions. The central part has a balustraded parapet incorporating 2 end chimneystacks paired to form triumphal arches. Five restored 6-paned windows with plain pilasters between the bays. Modillion cornice between 2nd and 1st floors. Giant Corinthian pilasters between windows and Giant engaged columns flanking entrance with deep cornice above. Central oculus with satyr mask and drapery at sides. Large door with cornice and console brackets. 2 steps. Lower windows are restored 12-pane sashes in moulded architraves with triple keystones. 1st floor windows have aprons. Rusticated plinth. Pavilions have pediments with modillion cornices, giant Corinthian pilasters and 3 renewed 12-pane sash windows. Aprons to 1st floor windows. Rusticated plinth and bands. Inward facing sides of pavilions has 2 blank round-headed niches in moulded architraves with keystones. South elevation has a 3 storey central portion with balustraded parapet. 7 window openings (without sashes at time of resurvey) Modillion cornice between 1st and 2nd floors. 7 window openings to lower floors with keystones. Projecting pavilions of 2 storeys at each end linked by a colonnade of 6 Tuscan columns with cast iron balcony above added by the Earl of Yarborough in the 1830s. The pavilions are rusticated with giant pilasters at each end. 1st floor pavilions each have one 12-pane sash and a round-headed niche on the ground floor. Plinth. West elevation also has a central 3 storey block with 5 bays and balustraded parapet. Moulded cornice between 1st and 2nd floors. Keystones to lower windows. 2 end projecting pavilions of 2 storeys with pediments, end giant pilasters and 3 window spaces with keystones. Sides of pavilions have 2 blank niches. Attached to the rear is a 1 storey porte-cochere with 2 entablatures with Tuscan columns. North elevation is of plain ashlar. Central block of 3 storeys with cornice and 5 window spaces. Projecting end pavilions of 2 storeys with 2 bays. The North East pavilion, which included the kitchen was only built in the 1770s. Attached to this is a portico with reused pilasters and cornice which led to a now demolished laundry, added by the Earl of Yarborough. Great Hall retains marble floor and some scagliola columns of the 1770s by James Wyatt. The kitchen retains a large stone fireplace. Other internal fittings were removed after the building became derelict. A late C18 chimneypiece is known to be at Fulham Palace.

One of the most significant houses of the English Baroque Style. Scheduled Ancient Monument. (L O J Boynton: Appuldurcombe House (English Heritage pamphlet); C W R Winter: The Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight: 20 - 27; B.O.E. "Hampshire and the Isle of Wight": 729 - 730).

Listing NGR: SZ5431979973

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Winter, CWR - Title: The Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight - Page References: 20-27
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Boynton, L O J - Title: Guide to Appuldurcombe House - Date: 1967
  3. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 23 Isle of Wight - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight - Date: 1967 - Page References: 729-730

National Grid Reference: SZ 54319 79973

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 11:13:03.