List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ALDHELM

List entry Number: 1217750

Location

CHURCH OF ST ALDHELM, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityDoulting

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 268328

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DOULTING CP CHURCH LANE (South side) ST6443 12/119 Church of St. Aldhelm 2.6.61 GV I

Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, all rebuilt "stone by stone" in 1869 by George Gilbert Scott. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar, stone-tiled roofs, coped verges, finials. Nave with north and south porches, chancel, crossing tower, north and south transepts, north vestry, north lean-to store, south organ chamber. Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular, all a replica of what was there before the restoration, some original work incorporated. Nave of 4 bays with lancets set singly, coupled, and tripled, clasping west buttresses, corbel table. C15 north porch with shafted 4-centred arch outer door opening, niche with a canopy set above, angle buttresses, pierced parapet, inside benched on flagstone floor, 4 wall monuments; inner doorway with an order of colonnettes with waterleaf capitals, segmental arch on vertical springers. Very elaborate south porch of 1869; 2-storeyed with concave-sided gable, set-back buttresses, pinnacles, arcading, niches with canopies, statuary, 2-light window art the first floor, door opening with ogee label, carved heads as stops; inside benched on flagstone floor, stone fan-vaulting, 2 wall monuments. Two bay south transept, pierced parapet with pinnacles, buttresses, large gargoyles, 2-light windows to east and west with square heads, cusping, 3-light south window with simple Perpendicular type tracery. North transept in conforming style. Organ chamber and vestry adjacent to the transepts, pierced parapets. Decorated style, though clearly added 1869, earlier gargoyles reused. Lean-to store with asbestos sheeting roof, a 2 and a 4-light window, again 1869. Octagonal tower, 2-light bell-chamber windows, embatted parapet, recessed stone spire, decorative band, windvane. Chancel with pierced parapet, a 3 and a 5-light window in Decorated style. Interior part plastered, some ashlared walls, on ornamental tile pavements. Nave and chancel with arch-braced roofs on shafted corbels. Tower set on double-chamfered arches, rib-vaulting with single-chamfered ribs on cartels, large ring for the bell ropes. Good original Perpendicular tie-bean roofs on angel corbels to the transepts, arcading, rich carving including angel figures. Some C15 corbels in vestry and organ chamber, reset. Majority of fittings in High Gothic style included the reredos, tiled texts in chancel, altar rails, choir stalls, screens, pulpit and pews. Good C15 octagonal font with carving of angels. Chest dated 169l. Two Jacobean chairs. Two C17 brass wall monuments. Fourteen principal late C18 and earlv C19 monuments, one of C18 on brass. Eight mid/late C19 stained glass windows; 2 early C20 windows, one probably by Morris and Co. Late C19 organ. Although rebuilt the quality of the work warrants the grade, (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, l958; Potographs in NMR; Illustrated John Buckler, 1833)



Listing NGR: ST6461343133

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 64613 43131

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 06:00:18.