List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1216629

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityMarston Trussell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 402117

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARSTON TRUSSELL MAIN STREET SP68NE (South side) 1/39 Church of St. Nicholas 02/11/54

- I

Church. C13 and C14. Squared coursed lias and limestone with ashlar dressings and lead roof. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel: South elevation of one-window range with 2-light window under 4-centred arch. North elevation of 2-window range of 3-light windows under 4-centred arches. North door between windows. Ashlar gable parapet with central gargoyle. 3-light east window. Clasping buttresses at corners. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar gable parapet. South aisle of one-window range with 3-light square-headed window. South door to left of window has C14, double-chamfered pointed arch. C17 inscribed tablet below window only partially legible. 3-light square-headed east window and C19 two-light west window. Ashlar gable parapet has corbel table decorated with faces. Lean-to roof. The nave projects eastwards beyond the south aisle and has half a blocked arch with a single-light window below; also a clasping buttress at the corner. North aisle of 2-window range with 2-light window with roundel above to the left, and a single lancet to the right. 3-light east window under pointed arch and 3-light west window under 4-centred arch. C18 inscribed tablets attached to wall at either side of east window. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. North porch has timber framed gable with large curved timbers around the ribbed and studded door. Gabled roof with plain-tile covering. Nave clerestory of 3-window range to south and 2-window range to north, with 2-light square-headed windows. Shallow-pitched roof with ashlar gable parapets. Perpendicular west tower of 4 stages. Shallow ashlar buttresses to lower 3 stages. 2-light west window to ground floor. Pairs of 2-light bellchamber openings to each face of fourth stage have transoms with cusping. Castellated ashlar parapet with large central gargoyles. Pinnacles at corners decorated with tracery and crockets. C20 boiler room to south of tower. Interior: Double-chamfered chancel arch. 3-bay nave arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches, those to south probably c.1300 with quatrefoil piers and those to north of mid C14 with octagonal piers. The east end of the south arcade is partially blocked by the return corner of the south aisle. Tall triple-chamfered tower arch. Nave and north aisle roofs contain original timbers. Double ogee-headed sedilia to right of altar. Monuments: South aisle, to Mark Brewater died 1612, a kneeling figure under a semi-circular arch flanked by plain pilasters with coat of arms and obelisks above. The nave floor has several C18 black inscribed tablets. Several C19 marble wall mounted tablets. Fragments of C17 panelling around the altar. C19 stained glass to the east window and some north and south aisle windows. Medieval stained glass to south east clerestory window. Font: Octagonal Perpendicular. Communion rail, Jacobean with turned balusters.

Listing NGR: SP6936385929

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 69363 85929

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 07:16:45.