List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST DENYS

List entry Number: 1216470

Location

CHURCH OF ST DENYS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityCold Ashby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Nov-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 401698

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLD ASHBY CHURCH LANE SP67NE (South side) 8/13 Church of St. Denys 02/11/54 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Denis)

GV II*

Church. C12 to C14, restored c.1840, Regular coursed and square coursed lias with ashlar dressings and lead roof. Nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel: South elevation of 2-window range of 2-light square-headed windows, with square-headed south door between. The north elevation has no windows. 3-light east window has Intersecting tracery. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar gable parapets. Nave south elevation of 4-window range at lower level, from left to right: 2-light window with C14 tracery, 3-light Perpendicular window with panel tracery, 2-light window with Y-tracery and 2-light window with square head. Clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light windows; that to left has a wood mullion, transom and lintel. Remains of sundial to right. South porch, reputed c.1696, has inner door under 4-centred arch with spandrels decorated with quatrefoils; gabled roof with ashlar parapets. Nave north elevation of one-window range at lower level of 2-light C14 window. Clerestory of 2-window range of 2-light windows. 2 large buttresses with slated copings to left. Shallow-pitched nave roof has ashlar gable parapets. C19 vestry to right has ashlar gable parapets and lean-to roof with plain tile covering. West tower of three stages with 2-light west window in lower stage with small arch-headed door below. On south face a large buttress projection houses staircase. 4-light bellchamber openings with transoms to each face of third stage. Castellated parapet with short pinnacles at corners. Interior: Double-chamfered chancel arch has plain responds. Perpendicular roof structure to nave and chancel with moulded tie beams in the nave. Stepped and chamfered tower arch partially visible behind C19 organ gallery at west end of the nave. North door opening is probably C19. C19 and C20 stained glass to all chancel windows, north nave and south-east nave windows. Monuments: Late C18 black oval tablet on north wall of chancel to Elizabeth Castle and Elizabeth Markham. Several C19 marble tablets. Perpendicular octagonal font on a panelled stem with fluerons to the underside of the bowl. Hatchment to north wall of nave. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.153).

Listing NGR: SP6561076269

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 153

National Grid Reference: SP 65610 76269

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:53:18.