List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1216364

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireCherwellDistrict AuthorityHanwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 401732

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HANWELL CHURCH LANE SP4343 (South side) 24/77 Church of St. Peter 08/12/55

GV I

Church. Almost entirely rebuiit in the C14. North and south doorways of C13. Tracery in window in south aisle dates from the C13 and is probably re-sited. Clerestory added in late C14/early C15 and new roof constructed. Late C18 repairs. Ironstone ashlar. Stone slate roof laid to diminishing courses. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south parch, west tower. 5-window range. Chancel, 2-light Decorated windows and a blocked window. 5-light east window with intersecting tracery. Small 4-centred arched doorway on north now blocked. pointed arched hood moulds. Lively frieze of monsters and humans or a combination of both c.1340 by the north Oxfordshire group of masons (see churches at Horley, Adderbury, Bloxham). Nave has three 2-light Perpendicular clerestory windows on both north and south. North aisle. Three 4-light Cl6 windows and C13 east and west windows have flowing or reticulated tracery. South aisle has a 3-light Decorated west window, a 3-light geometrical east window and windows with; Intersecting tracery to left and right of porch. South porch. Gabled, Diagonal buttress. C13 doorway. Plank and batten door with inner door. Stone ledge seats. 2 blocked windows. Tower of 2 stages with cranailated parapet. Higher stair tower with slit windows. 2-light Perpendicular windows. Chancel. All windows have slender jamb shafts. Vault made under the chancel in 1776 and floor raised to the level of the Decorated piscina and sedilia. 3-bay butt-purlin, tie beam roof. Altar rails of 1686. 3-bay north and south nave arcades. On the north the capitals have crenellated cresting, on the south there are figures of minstrels playing musical instruments. (Similar carvings at Adderbury, Bloxham and Drayton). North aisle roof renewed. South aisle roof restored retaining original tiebeams. South aisle. Piscina and credence table. In the south-cast corner a stone angle fireplace with chimney vent in the form in a pinnacle with gabled crocketed openings. North aisle. Stone carved rerados and Decorated piscina. 2 small square recesses. Tub shaped font of c.1200 with a final. intersecting arcading. Wooden Jacobean cover with 4 scrolls supporting a finial Alabaster tomb effigy to William Cope and wife in chancel wall. Memorials to Jonathan Cope d1765, Mary d.1753, Jonathan d.1763. Cartouche commorating Charles Cope 1781. Hatchment in south aisle and wall memorial to Harris family member. North aisle has marble wall memorial to Reverand Thomas Gill d.1771 South aisle. Tomb effigy Brass to Fitzherbert Potter, DD; 1749. Ironstone chest tomb commorates George Ashwell, d.1693. Balusters at corners and decorated with cornucopia. Recess in chancel has funeral helms of the Cope family. Creed and the Lord's Prayer painted on the wall in the south aisle. Clock of 1671. Door to bell tower of plank and nail construction with strap hinges. (Buildings of England; Oxfordshire: 1874, p631; VCH; Oxfordshire; Vol IX, pp120-2; Jnl Brit. Arch. Assoc. XXVII (1921); pp129-152, photographs in NMR)



Listing NGR: SP4357043576

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 631
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 120-2
'Journal of The British Archaeological Association' in Journal of The British Archaeological Association, , Vol. 27, (1921), 129-152

National Grid Reference: SP 43572 43575

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 02:16:36.