List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORLAND HOUSE

List entry Number: 1216221

Location

NORLAND HOUSE, 110, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireFenlandDistrict AuthorityMarch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 401547

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4196 MARCH HIGH STREET (East Side)

23/26 No. 110 (Norland House)

GV II*

House. c1700, mid C18, late C18 and 1837 (dated stone). Mid-late C20 alterations. Narrow red brick with yellow brick details similar to No.125 West End, March dated 1691 (q.v). Refronted late C18 in narrow grey brick, also English bond. This wall was rebuilt in mid 1970s reusing original brick. Steeply pitched slate roof, originally parapetted, with end stacks. The yellow brick quoins and tumbling can be seen in the rear gable end. L-plan. Two storeys and attic. Two dormers with triangular pediments flanking one with segmental pediment. Symmetrical facade of five late C18 recessed hung sashes of twelve panes each. Central doorway with c1975 double doors. Adjoining the c1700 kitchen at the rear is a mid C18 service extension of narrow local brick with rebuilt upper courses. Tiled roof with tumbled gable end and original red and yellow brick ridge stack. The upper courses were rebuilt in C19. One storey and attic. Attic storey has two c1970 dormers. Original red and burnt brick, segmental arches to nine openings at ground floor. One retains original panelled door with fittings, the rest have C20 windows and doors. A further extension at the rear was made to the house in 1837 by Thomas Aveling. Grey brick with yellow brick to door and window arches. There is a dated stone with initials T.A. and date 1837 at first floor. Inside: Hall and stairbay with early C18 screen archway with keyblock, on panelled pilasters. Original staircase of four flights and two landings, closed string with pulvinated frieze, pear shaped balusters, moulded rail and square newels, panelled. Dado to upper flights. Both ground floor rooms at the front have sunken panelling in two heights. The dining room to the left has double cornice, corner fireplace and panelled shutters. There is an original connecting door to the kitchen. The parlour is more richly decorated and has a modillion eaves cornice and a band of quatrefoils below the dado rail. There is also a corner fireplace with flanking fluted pilasters plain entablature and frieze of quatrefoils. Original doorcase surround with dentil cornice and similar frieze of quatrefoils. Another cornice has been reset above this one. At first floor the chamber over the dining room has raised and fielded panelling also in two heights, and a fireplace to the gable end with bolection moulded fireplace surround. An original doorway, now blocked, leads to a chamber over the kitchen which has one wall lined with bolection moulded panelling possibly reset and a bolection moulded fireplace surround all early C18. The chamber over the parlour has similar raised and fielded panelling but the cornice has a dentil moulding. The fireplace, also against the gable end wall, is mid C18 and is flanked by Doric pilasters with quatrefoils to the metopes. Shouldered overmantel with smaller band of quatrefoils above and below the original mantel with egg and dart, dentil and quatrefoil mouldings and foliated bosses. Formerly there was a closet on the staircase on first floor, with access from a doorway in each of the two front chambers. The closet has been removed but the doorways, adjacent to the doorway to the staircase, remain. The mid C18 addition has been converted to flats but a newel and rail of early C18, survive possibly in situ.

Listing NGR: TL4166796200

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 41667 96200

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 08:49:55.