List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1216164

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireCherwellDistrict AuthorityCropredy

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 401484

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROPREDY CHURCH LANE SP4646 (East side) 14/46 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 08/12/55

GV I

Church. C13 work in the south aisle and C13 south doorway. Mostly C14 including porch and west tower. C15 north aisle and chapels, 1877 restoration by E.W. Christian, Squared, coursed ironstone and ashlar ironstone. Roof covering not visible. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles north vestry. south porch. west tower, north and south chapels, 6-window range, Chancel has a 4-light reticulated east window. South elevation has a priest's door with moulded stone surround and a 2-light geometrical window, South aisle has 2- and 3-light Perpendicular or geometrical windows, Gabled south porch has stone parapet and pointed arched doorway. Plank and nail door. South aisle has stone parapet and late Decorated cornice carved with heads and ballflower. Five 2-light perpendicular clerestory windows on north and south. West tower. Crenellated with staircase turret slightly higher. 3 stages. Diagonal buttresses. String courses to first and second stages, Panelled, double-leaf door on west with pointed arched hood mould. Renewed 3-light Perpendicular window above and 2-light Perpendicular windows to bell stage, North aisle has Perpendicular windows, some renewed. Doorway on right has plank door and pointed arched hood mould and label stops. C14 vestry on north has a priest's room above with 2 small windows, one of which now opens onto the north aisle. Sundial on south aisle. Diaganal and angle buttresses on south aisle and chancel. Interior, Nave has a 5 bay tie bean roof on corbals, Ri,dqe and side purlins. Arched braces. Chancel has a similar roof, partly restored, Chancel has a Decorated and Early English piscina, Doorway into vestry has a plank and nail door with wrought-iron hinges. Priest's room (reached via ladder stair) has word panelling. Screen on north side of the chancel has C14 fragments with flowing tracery. Another screen around the chapel on the south has the initials of Ann Danvers and the date 1539. C17 communion rail. Nave has tall 4-bay Decorated arcades with piers without capitals. Perpendicular piscina in north aisle (without a drain) . South aisle has 2 arched tomb recesses. 2 fonts, one octagonal C14, the other 1853. Late C15 style polygonal pulpit said to be dated 1619 (Kell's Directory). Rare pre-Reformation C15 brass eagle lectern. Fragments of a painted Last Judgement over the chancel arch. C13 chest with fine decorative ironwork. Chancel has memorials to Francis Stainer (vicar) d.1735 and William and Abigail Taylor of Williamscot House d.1733. Wall plaque to Richard H.B. Crossman of Prescote M.P. to F+charo h.c'. roasoan p+ Pras-r--3_ '."( P. 1906-1974, South aisle and chapel have memorials to the Danvers and Gostelow families of Prescote and the Caulcott, Taylor and Loveday families of Williamscot. Freestone monumnet in south aisle to Walter Calcott d,1582 and Alice Calcott. South wall of south aisle has remains of a stone figure of a Knight in armour. Brass in nave to Priscilla Plant d.1837. North aisle has classical style marble wall memorial to John Danvers of Prescot, MDCCXXI. Fragments of C15 glass in north aisle. East window by Lavers. Barrant and westlake 1877 and memorial windows by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, pp559-60; VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol X. pp171-2: Trans. Bust. and Gls. Arch. Soc. 52 (1930), pp45-8: 22 photographs in Ashmolean Museum Oxford; Tran. North Oxford. Arch. Soc., 1879 pp56 and drawings of mouldings)

Listing NGR: SP4689846667

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Transactions of the North Oxfordshire Archaeological Society - Date: 1879 - Journal Title: Transactions of the North Oxfordshire Archaeological Society - Page References: 56
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society - Date: 1930 - Journal Title: Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society - Volume: 52 - Page References: 46-8
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Oxford - Date: 1972 - Volume: 10 - Page References: 171-2
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 559-60

National Grid Reference: SP 46899 46668

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 09:30:51.