List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1215306

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityRevesby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 400449

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 26 SE REVESBY THE GREEN (west side)

3/40 Church of 14.9.66 St. Lawrence

G.V. II

Parish church. 1891 by C. Hodgson Fowler in the Decorated style. Ashlar with plain tiled roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel, south porch, vestry. 3 stage west tower having angle buttresses, pierced parapet, pinnacles and set back spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. In the belfry stage are 2 light windows. The west window is of 3 lights and above is an ogee headed single light. The north aisle has 4 two light windows. The gabled vestry has a small 2 light window, continuously moulded pointed doorway and glazed triskele to the gable. In the side walls of the nave are 2 and 3 light windows, and in the chancel are 2 similar lights all having cusped flowing tracery. The east window is large and of 5 tall lights, with elaborate flowing tracery at head, with mouchettes. All windows have moulded and pointed stone surrounds and hood moulds. Gabled south porch has a moulded and pointed outer doorway and above a pointed blank niche. Side benches. Inner doorway has continuously moulded pointed surround. Interior. 4 bay north nave arcade with filleted quatrefoil piers, annular capitals and double chamfered pointed arches. Tall tower arch with engaged triple shafted reveals, annular capitals and triple chamfered arch. In the south wall of the tower a niche formed of reset early C13 mouldings contains a collection of moulded stone fragments from Revesby Abbey. Tower is vaulted with circular bell opening. Chancel arch matches tower arch but has paired columns and double wave moulded head. In the north side of the chancel a broad arch to the organ loft and a pointed doorway. Sanctuary has a fine tiled floor and carved wooden panelling with tile and morther of pearl inlays. The reredos is also inlaid and has kneeling figures of gilded angels. Fittings are all late C19. The pulpit has 4 C16 Flemish panels inset, and the cornice is a reused C17 piece. The disappointing font comprises a section of reused medieval moulded shaft with a cushion capital top. Monuments. In north aisle a reset monument to Joseph Banks, d.1727, in the form of a marble sarcophagus with swept base, surmounted by a Carrera bust of the deceased, by Nost. Nearby a marble escutcheon bears the deceased's arms, presumably from the top of the tomb. Above hangs a mourning banner of Sir Joseph Banks Bart, the famous explorer and grandson of the deceased.

Listing NGR: TF2984161411

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 29841 61411

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 04:09:14.