List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1215255

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, COMMERCIAL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireDerbyshire DalesDistrict AuthorityTideswell

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 400346

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 1575 PARISH OF TIDESWELL COMMERCIAL ROAD 7/14 (North West Side) 12.7.67 Church of St John the Baptist GV I

Church. C14, restored in 1873 by J D Sedding. Coursed gritstone with ashlar dressings, lead covered pitched roofs, with coped gables to transepts, chancel, and above chancel arch, which also carries C19 bellcote. West tower, south porch, north and south aisles and transepts, nave with clerestory, chancel and sacristy. Two stage tower with angle buttresses to first stage, bell stage with embattled parapet. Octagonal corner towers with crocketed pinnacles, and between towers, crocketed pinnacles rise from parapet. Bell stage has coupled pointed arched opening with transomed Y-tracery below hoodmoulds. Shallow corbel-table above window heads has moulded stringcourse above, surmounted by parapet. Tall perp 5-light west window with panel tracery above west door, with pointed arched head. Small rectangular lights to upper part of first stage and clock to south wall. Two storey porch with diagonal stepped buttresses, pointed arched doorway with hoodmould and embattled parapet above moulded stringcourse. Narrow lancets light first floor. North and south aisles of four bays rise from triple stepped plinth which continues around the building. Aisle windows of 3-lights with curvilinear tracery with moulded stringcourse and embattled parapet above. Aisle bays delineated by stepped buttresses terminating at the stringcourse. 3-light clerestory windows of 2-lights with ogee heads supporting a quatrefoil, beneath a hoodmould. String- course above, and embattled parapet. North and south transepts, each of two bays, with stepped diagonal buttresses and pinnacles. Parapets with embattled centres, behind which rise the coped gables of the transepts. Tall, 5-light north and south windows with hoodmoulds and carved stops, and side wall windows of 3-lights, all with bold curvilinear tracery. Four bay chancel with tall straight headed 3-light windows, nearly perp, but with quatrefoils on trefoils which link the mullions. These windows clearly post-date the flowing tracery of the transepts, but appear contemporary with the curvilinear tracery of the tall east window. The chancel bays are defined by stepped buttresses, those to the south wall with pinnacles and blind tracery to buttress faces. Almost semi-circular headed priests doorway with planked and studded door to south wall, and niches to south transept buttresses. Pointed arched doorway to north aisle with panelled oak door and hoodmould which rises from the upper-most moulding of the stepped plinth. Interior: tall perp tower arch with ribbed vaulting below bell chamber. Tower screen by J Oldred Scott, 1904. Ribbed vaulting to south porch and plain doorway to chamber above. Medieval font with octagonal bowl and fluted stem on a circular base. Bowl decorated with quatrefoil, chalice, shield and book devices, Four bay nave with arches rising almost to clerestory. Nave piers of unusual quatrefoil section with similar moulding to chancel arch imposts. Arches to two bay transepts are wider than nave arches. North transept has east wall niches, and two defaced effigies of unknown females, C12 and C13, together with surviving former chancel stalls with misericords. Organ by Foster & Andrews of Hull, 1895. South transept with piscina to east wall, with ogee head and quatrefoils above, and an ogee headed aumbry to south wall. Stone effigies of Sir Thurstan De Bower,d.1423,and his lady on chest tomb, restored in 1873. Hatchments between windows to Meverill and Statham families and aedicule wall monument to Thomas Statham. King post roof trusses to nave and transepts with arched braces from wall posts to tie beam soffits and from tie beam to king post give ogee form, with cusped curved braces rising from principal rafters to purlin soffits. Arch braces from king posts support ridge. Chancel arch with C14 timber screen and gates and with canopy of 1883. Evidence of steps to former rood loft on chancel arch wall, west face, and of earlier roof line on east face. Stone reredos with embattled parapet has canoped niches with crockets and encloses sacristy at east end. Canopied niches on east wall flank Tree of Jesse east window by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1875. Ogee headed piscina and triple sedilia with ogee heads and quatrefoils to spandrels to south wall. Double blind ogee arches to north wall. Brasses to Sir John Foljamb, d.1383 (restored) and to Bishop Robert Purseglove, d.1579, depicted in pre-Reformantion vestments. Chest tomb to Sir Sampson Maverill d.1462, restored in 1876 . One of the most important of the county's medieval parish churches in which the development of the Decorated style and the emergence of the Perpendicular Style in Derbyshire is clearly illustrated.

Listing NGR: SK1525675774

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 15256 75774

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 01:40:15.