List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROTHWELL UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

List entry Number: 1213989

Location

ROTHWELL UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, FOX STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireKetteringDistrict AuthorityRothwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 398690

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROTHWELL FOX STREET SP 88 SW (south side) 3/70 Rothwell United 23/1/85 Reformed Church II* Congregational church, now United Reformed Church. 1735, with additions 1762. Further additions in Romanesque style, 1826 and 1852. Coursed and squared ironstone with stone dressings and hipped slate roof. Chamfered plinths throughout. Main front has stepped dentillated cornice and moulded parapet and gable inscribed with dates. Round headed openings all have projecting architraves with keystones. Projecting 2-bay centre has 2 windows. Beyond, on either side, a doorway with fanlight. Above, 4 smaller double windows. Between the central pair, a datestone inscribed '1826'. Each side of the church has 3 round headed windows and above, 3 C19 cross casements, all with keystoned heads. North side has a slightly projecting centre with, above, a re-set datestone inscribed '1676'. South end has a central gabled organ chamber with a single casement high up in each side. South west corner has an adjoining gabled lecture room, 2 bays, 1909. South east corner has an adjoining gabled vestry with, to south, a blocked door and above it a datestone inscribed '1762'. Interior: the body of the church has on each side 3 patterned stained glass windows. To the front, a pilastered recess containing a platform and a Renaissance Revival style organ case, 1898. At the rear and on each side, a panelled gallery with dentillated frieze, on fluted iron piers. Panelled ceiling with moulded cornice and 4 rosette vents. Entrance lobbies each have cantilevered stone staircases with iron stick balusters. Sunday School room between lobbies has 2 C19 stained glass windows. Gallery above has a moulded cornice and a fitted cupboard at each end. Remodelled roof has softwood principal rafter and queen post trusses. Fittings include round cornered mid C19 oak pulpit with stairs each side. Plain benches, 1852, in the body of the church, those at the sides angled. Early C19 box pews in the gallery. Memorials include an arch-topped bronze war memorial tablet, 1918, and 4 other C20 tablets. Rothwell's Independent Church was established in 1655, holding its meetings in a barn said to have stood on the site of the present church. It was an important local centre of nonconformity, particularly during the ministry of Richard Davis, 1690 - 1714.

Listing NGR: SP8137480930

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 81374 80930

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 06:12:16.