List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TWYFORD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1213957

Location

TWYFORD HOUSE, 1-8, PIG LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityThorley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 398638

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 41 NE THORLEY PIG LANE (west side) Twyford House

4/17 Twyford House (Nos 1-8)

22.2.67

- II*

House. Mid C17, altered and refaced c.1715, further alterations 1835 (by Lewis Vulliamy), 1894 (by F S Brereton) and 1912. Divided into flats 1970; largely gutted to eradicate dry rot 1980-1. 2 storeys and attics, with steep, hipped red tile roof and central cupola. Double-depth plan with kitchen wing at rear (SW). Red brick mansion in English bond probably built for Hale family, owners from 1650. Front range on E retains structural posts flanking central chimney on N side of central hall, and pairs of axial girder beams. On S side of hall beams with mortices define a cross passage or possibly another central chimney. C19 chimney inserted further S. Foundations suggest a rear stair hall and 2 service rooms to N of it in original arrangement. House cased in fine red brickwork with sash windows c.1715. Symmetrical E front of 9 windows and advanced, pedimented, 3-window centre, is little changed. In Flemish bond, it has a plinth, floor band and wood modillioned eaves cornice. Rubbed brick flat arches to slightly recessed box sashes with 6/6 panes and moulded architrave. Fine early C18 central doorcase with fluted pilasters on high moulded bases, supporting fine carved.floral consoles and full entablature with swelled frieze, modillioned cornice and triangular pediment. Eared moulded architrave to round-headed opening. High relief carved foliage in spandrels. C19 flush panelled reveal and overdoor, and 6- panelled door with planted mouldings. N flank has 4 blind recesses on each floor corresponding to the front windows. Octagonal cupola over rear range raised on tall panelled square base with clock faces E and W, and projecting dentilled cornice. Cupola lacks wind vane, and bell noted in 1967 said to have been dated 1665. Oval window in front pediment with radial glazing bars. The 4 hipped dormers, with 6/6 panes sash windows and the tall octagonal chimneyshafts are late additions. The kitchen wing was remodelled in 1835 and 1894, and the large square NW bay was probably added in 1912. Wooden doorcase to rear door is not that shown in Buckler's drawing of 1834 (HRO). It has 3/4 engaged oval columns, fluted for half their height, with echinus mouldings on the capitals but moulded bases. Full entablature with echinus to corona and circular sinkings in the mutules. Planted central panel in frieze with moulded sunk centre. Surviving interior features include the early C19 dividing staircase, with cut string, stick balusters and simple moulded handrail. In the front hall a C18 wooden fire surround with marble slips, moulded, eared architrave, full entablature with swelled frieze and key pattern below corona. Small-panelled oak panelling around fireplace. An oak C19 fire surround near staircase carved with mantled and helmeted shield and motto 'Frere Ayme Frere'. The house is described in Mrs Elizabeth Grant's Memoirs of a Highland Lady (she lived there 1806-7) and is associated with Cecil Rhodes, whose uncle Arthur Rhodes lived there 1860-71.

Listing NGR: TL4933119306

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Grant, E - Title: Memoirs of a Highland Lady

National Grid Reference: TL 49331 19306

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 02:52:54.