List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH (ST MARY)

List entry Number: 1213892

Location

PARISH CHURCH (ST MARY)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DorsetWest DorsetDistrict AuthorityCatherston Leweston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 104693

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 39 SE CATHERSTON LEWESTON

5/8 Parish Church (St Mary)

G.V. II*

Parish Church. 1857-8 by J L Pearson. Commissioned by R L Hildyard, lord of Catherston Manor. Nave and Chancel; north Vestry; entry by West door. Knapped chert walls, the cherts fitting closely to make a surface. Stone for plinths, buttresses, strings, gable copings, cornices, window tracery. Plain tile roof with copings at west gable, nave/chancel divide and east end. Copings have gableted kneelers. Stone sanctus bell-cote over west gable with sunk trefoil and stone cross over. Cross-in-wheel over middle coping. Small cross with trefoil terminals over east coping. West elevation: good west doorway with 3 orders of responds, naturalistic foliage capitals, keeled roll mouldings to pointed arch. Label with naturalistic foliage stops. West window of 4 lights with geometric tracery. North elevation: 4 bays. Mullion windows, with geometric tracery heads. East end has frieze of sunk quatrefoils all round. East window, 3 light with respond-jambs and sexfoil geometrical tracery over. Memorial Tablet to R C Hildyard, d 1857 and R H Hildyard, d 1876.

Interior: nave roof of arch-braced construction with high collars. 2 sets of wind-braces, the lower as ashlaring. Longitudinal ridge-bracing. 5 bays to roof carried on stone corbels with carved angel-musicians. Chancel-roof, similar, of 3 bays. Chancel-arch, single responds, naturalistic foliage capitals, high pointed arch. Chancel East wall: diaper pattern of carved paterae behind altar and on reredos. Integral reredos of 3 trefoil- cusped arches on marbled colonettes. Running foliage string-course over. Credence shelf below north window. Sedilia below south window. Fittings: Font, Beerstone, with octagonal bowl: scenes from Christ's Ministry. Latin inscription round bowl and dated 1858. Pulpit, stone, octagonal with pointed arches in a square panel, carried on marble colonettes. Stained glass, good in Decorated style, 1858, by Clayton & Bell, East window with Christ's Passion in 3 scenes. West window: scenes from the life of the Virgin. Altar-rail with twisted-iron shafts and running foliage spandrels. Choir-stalls, oak, with 13th century style details. Iron work candelabrum to priest's desk. "F P Pitfield, Dorset Parish Churches A - D", p 152.

Listing NGR: SY3696594391

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pitfield, FP - Title: Dorset Parish Churches - Date: 1981 - Page References: 152

National Grid Reference: SY 36965 94391

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 12:29:21.