List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ORTON TRUST WORKSHOP

List entry Number: 1213823

Location

THE ORTON TRUST WORKSHOP, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireKetteringDistrict AuthorityOrton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jan-1991

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 398473

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ORTON MAIN STREET SP 87 NW (north west side) 5/51 The Orton Trust Workshop 25.10.51 (formerly listed as Church of All Saints) II* Church, now stonemasonry centre. C13/14 with earlier origins, restored 1868-87 and 1906. Coursed rubblestone with some dressings and stone slate and parapeted roof, with stone-coped gables. Choir, nave, south aisle and west tower. Choir has 2-light east window with Y tracery and hood mould with block stops. Blank north wall and 2-light window to south with perpendicular tracery and flat- arched head with hood mould. North wall of nave has two 2-light windows with Y tracery and hood moulds with carved stops. Similar windows to south aisle with narrow south-east lancet. Clerestory has two 2-light windows with perpendicular tracery and flat-arched heads with hood moulds. South porch has chamfered arch dying into carved corbels, and many-moulded doorway within, with hood mould which has head stops. C19 plank door. C13 and C14 3-stage west tower has small narrow lancets to 1st stage, blank walling to 2nd stage and four 2-light bell- chamber openings with geometrical tracery and hood moulds with carved stops. String course, crenellated parapet and 4 small pinnacles. Interior has been cleared of fittings for present use and some partition walls erected but has chancel arch with round-arched head, 3-bay south arcade with double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers and unchamfered pointed nave arch. Font with 4 pro- jecting human and animal heads. Stained glass to east, north nave and south choir windows.

Listing NGR: SP8056679417

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 80566 79417

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 10:34:19.