List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BISHOPS FOLLY THE PALACE THE PALACE EAST THE PALACE WEST

List entry Number: 1213683

Location

BISHOPS FOLLY, WINDING HILL
THE PALACE EAST, WINDING HILL
THE PALACE WEST, WINDING HILL
THE PALACE, WINDING HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityMuch Hadham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 398289

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 41 NW MUCH HADHAM WINDING HILL (south side) Much Hadham village

3/17 The Palace ('The Palace West' and 19.10.51 'The Palace East and Bishops Folly') -

GV II*

House. Originally the Manor House of Much Hadham and from before the Conquest until 1647 a residence of the Bishops of London. Early C16 and later periods. Red brick casing to timber frame structure. Old tile roof. 2 storeys and attics. Original house was an E-W hall range with cross wing on W. This cross wing was refronted in mid C18 with a 6 window, parapeted range. Ground floor has later conservatory, 6/6 sash windows and half- glazed door. Floor band, later casements to 1st floor, long eyebrow dormer just above parapet. On N elevation the front range has a pointed sash window with Gothic tracery bars. To E are 2 projecting gable ends, C18 with floor bands and moulded corbels. W gable end has sash window and small pane gable casement. Recessed centre with C18 gable and various casements. E gable incorporates early C16 brickwork and Ground floor, moulded, 4-centre arch doorway; E elevation of this has 1st floor 8/8 sash window. Further E is another C16 brick portion with modern gable, Ground floor has twin 6/3 sash windows. Further E is 2 gabled entrance front to Palace East, C18 brickwork probably to C17 range. 2 Ground floor, small pane, sash windows. Rear S elevation is long, 6 gabled range, original house 4 gabled on W, only the 4th gable showing any early C16 brickwork. Continuous floor band at eaves level. All windows C19 casements. C19, canted, 2 storey addition between 3rd and 4th gables. E pair of gables form symmetrical garden front. Adjoining Palace East on E elevation is C18 or earlier, timberframed and plastered outbuilding, weatherboarded to sill level on E side, which also has 2- and 3-light small pane casements. Slightly taller C19, painted brick, W extension, probably for stabling. Interior. Much altered. Palace West has re-used oak panelling in Ground floor of W range. S Ground floor with C17 moulded floor beams and C16 moulded stone fireplace, possibly moved from elsewhere, incorporating 1577 fireback with arms of Bishops of London. (RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL4307019722

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 43070 19722

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:19:41.