List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND PAUL

List entry Number: 1213602

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireKetteringDistrict AuthorityHarrington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 398224

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARRINGTON CHURCH LANE SP 78 SE (east side) 2/32 Church of St Peter 25.2.57 and St Paul II* Parish Church. Early and mid C14, C15, tower 1809. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone with ashlar dressings and lead and slate roofs. South tower, nave with clerestory and aisles, north transept, chancel, south porch. 4 stage tower has ironstone clasping buttresses, plinth and 3 string courses, coped parapet and 4 corner pinnacles. To south, a chamfered pointed doorway. Above, on each side a round headed louvred bell chamber opening with hood mould linked to string course. To north a parapeted porch with, to east, a C15 3-light window with 4-centred arched head. 4-bay nave has hipped roof behind parapet with coped gables and crosses. On each side, 4 hollow chamfered round headed double lancets with hood moulds. Buttressed west end has a central Geometrical triple lancet with hood mould, and above it an empty niche. Angle buttressed 3- bay aisles have chamfered plinths and coped parapets. Each has above the doorway a segmental pointed double lancet, flanked by single mid C14 triple lancets with segmental pointed heads. All the windows have hood moulds. Diagonally buttressed and parapeted north transept has to north and to east a triple lancet with Tudor arched head and hood mould. In the northern angle, a C19 canted parapeted stair turret. 3-bay chancel,C14 and C15, has string course, coped parapet and gable with cross. 2 diagonal buttresses to east, 2 to north,and a single central one to south. North side has a central C15 triple lancet with segmental head and hood mould, flanked to left by a Tudor arched doorway with decorated spandrels, hood mould, and a beaded C18 plank door. East end has a stepped sill band and a C15 panel-traceried triple lancet with segmental pointed head and hood mould. South side has to left a C15 flat headed triple window and to right a blocked C13 lancet. Both have hood moulds. Restored C14 south porch has sill band and coped gable with gabled kneelers. Plain moulded doorway with hood mould. South side has a chamfered single lancet. Interior has 2 stone benches, scissor braced roof and triple roll-moulded doorway with hood mould. C18 beaded plank door. C14 4-bay arcades have quatrefoil west piers with stiff leaf capitals and clustered east piers with moulded capitals. Double hollow chamfered arches with hood moulds, mask and fleuron stops. Early C19 hipped roof. Aisles have plain and hollow chamfered arches at the east ends, that to north with a central drop. Both have segmental headed doorways with hood moulds and restored lean-to roofs, that to south with moulded tie-beams. North transept has double hollow chamfered arch, screened off to form vestry, and to south east a moulded rood stair doorway. Restored hipped low pitched roof with moulded cambered tie- beams. Tower chamber has to east a C13 piscina and to its right a 4- centred arched C15 piscina with bracket. Restored roof with chamfered tie-beam. Chancel has a double hollow chamfered arch containing a restored late C14 traceried and crested screen. Plain low pitched roof restored C19 and late C20. Fittings include roll topped stalls and benches, Gothic desks, oak lectern and octagonal traceried pulpit, all C19. Octagonal font on round stem with 3 round flanking shafts. Memorials include limestone chest tomb with shields in lozenge panels and a canopy with coffered jambs and soffit containing brass figures, crest and inscription to Laurence Saunders, 1545. Large high quality remodelled alabaster wall monument, the central panels with facing kneeling family flanked by shallow niches containing allegorical figures. Above, a crest flanked by decorated spandrels, to the Saunders family, 1588. Part of a C16 brass with Arms and inscription. Large pedimented marble and slate tablet, 1831. Marble war memorial tablet, 1919.

Listing NGR: SP7783880574

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 77838 80574

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 04:17:51.