List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1213539

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireKetteringDistrict AuthorityCransley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 398161

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CRANSLEY CHURCH LANE SP 87 NW (south side)) 5/21 Church of St Andrew 25.2.57 GV I Parish Church. Early C14 and C15 restored early C18 and 1870 by Slater and Carpenter. Ironstone and limestone ashlar with limestone dressings, lead and stone slate roofs. West tower with spire, nave with aisles, chancel, south porch. C15 west tower, 4 stages, has clasping buttresses with 4 set-offs, moulded plinth and string courses, quatrefoil frieze, crenellated parapet and 4 crocketed pinnacles. First stage has to west a moulded doorway with flat hood mould and traceried spandrels. Second stage has, to west, an ogee headed triple lancet with Decorated tracery and hood mould. Third stage has, to north, a clock. Fourth stage has on each side a pair of ogee headed transomed double bell-chamber openings with hood moulds. Setback octagonal spire has 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes on the same faces, with double and single lancets. Above, finial and weathercock. Nave has moulded eaves, parapet and gable with cross. Clerestory has on each side 6 cusped untraceried double lancets with hood moulds. North side has a lead rainwater head inscribed 'R G 1702' and another inscribed 'T L'. South side has similar rainwater head inscribed 'W O 1713'. North aisle, C15, 3 bays, has chamfered plinth, moulded parapet and sill band, and 2 diagonal buttresses. West end has a Decorated double lancet and to its left a tablet, 1813, with drip mould. North side has 2 C15 untraceried 3-light windows with Tudor arched heads. East end has a similar window. All the windows have hood moulds. Similar south aisle, early C14, 3 bays, has a continuous hood mould and 2 angle buttresses with 2 set-offs. East end has a Geometrical triple lancet. South side has a Y-traceried double lancet on each side of the porch and to their right a C15 untraceried triple lancet. The west end had a similar triple lancet. All these windows have hood moulds. 2-bay chancel has moulded sill band, eaves and parapet plus east gable with cross. North side has an off-centre roll moulded C14 doorway flanked by single cusped untraceried triple lancets, restored. The south side has a central buttress, with 2 set-offs, flanked by single triple lancets like those to north, restored. East end has to left an angle buttress, with 2 set-offs. Ogee reticulated quadruple lancet, 1870. by Slater and Carpenter. All the windows have hood moulds. C14 south porch, restored, has a coped gable with finial and cross, moulded and rebated doorway with octagonal responds, hood mould and mask stops. In each side, a quatrefoil in a square surround. The interior has various re-set crosses and worked stones and C20 roof. Moulded early C14 inner doorway with hood mould and mask stops. Interior: Plain triple chamfered C15 tower arch. Tower chamber has a round headed niche to north and south and a stained glass west window c 1941. North arcade, 4 bays, has octagonal piers and responds with ballflower enriched capitals. Similar south arcade has plain capitals. Double chamfered and rebated arches have hood moulds with mask stops. Above, moulded sill band and moulded clerestory window openings. C15 roof with moulded tie-beams, arch braces, angel corbels, lengthwise arch braces and moulded purlins. North aisle west end has panelled screen, 1914, and east end has organ case with show pipes. C15 roof with cambered tie-beams, arch braces and angel corbels. South aisle east end has stained glass window, 1908. South side has to east, a cove moulded C14 piscina. To its right, a C14 tomb recess. South east window has stained glass, 1939. West end window has C14 stained glass fragments with cranes and crest. C15 roof with moulded tie-beams, mask bosses,arch braces, wall shafts and angel corbels. Chancel has a C14 double chamfered arch with triple shaft responds. North side has to east a mid C14 tomb recess. East window has stained glass by Kempe, 1900. South side has to east a rebated aumbry and a restored C14 piscina. To their right, an C14 triple sedilia with filleted double shafts. C15 roof has moulded purlins and tie-beams with bosses.Fittings include C19 stalls, benches, wooden gradine and octagonal pulpit and font.Remarkable C18 gadrooned baluster shaped font. monuments include late C15 floor brass, brass in pedimented alabaster surround, 1589, brass with crest, 1602. Renaissance revival style tablet to Susanna Robinson, 1714, with verse by the deceased. Several C18 and C19 marble and slate tablets. War memorials, 1918 and 1945.

Listing NGR: SP8284576523

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 82845 76523

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 09:34:46.