List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARK

List entry Number: 1213321

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
West BerkshireUnitary AuthorityEnglefield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 397731

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 67 SW ENGLEFIELD

4/31 Church Of St. Mark 14.4.67 G.V. I

Church. C13 south aisle, rebuilt and added to in a late C13 neo-Gothic style in 1857 by Sir George Gilbert Scott, tower and spire of 1868, and further restoration in 1874 and 1891. Flint with stone dressings. Old tile roofs separately over nave and aisles with parapeted gable ends. North-west tower, nave, south aisle, chancel, north chapel, south porch and north vestry. Tower and spire: 3 stages with diagonal buttresses and string courses. Corbelling to stone broach spire with 2-light gabled lucarnes on cardinal faces, smaller gabled lucarnes above, and weathervane. Large 2-light bell stage openings with louvres, quatrefoil plate tracery and hoodmoulds with carved stops. 2 small lancets in second stage to north and 2-light window beneath in first stage with hoodmould and carved stope. Narrow lancet in second stage to west and shafted cusped lancet in first stage beneath with hoodmould and carved stops. Newel turret to south-west with square first stage, circular second stage and conical tile roof. Boarded door to west with hoodmould and narrow lancets above and to south. South aisle:west end: boarded door with moulded arch and hoodmould with carved stops, circular window with plate tracery in gable end above. East end: triple stepped lancets with continuous hoodmould and carved stops. South side: 2 pairs of lancets flanking C13 south doorway with one order of shafts, uncut beakhead decoration and boarded door. C19 gabled porch with 2 orders of shafts, moulded arch and hoodmould with carved stops. Small cusped lancets to east and west, nook shafts at corners, and interior with 3 bay blank arcade and seats. Chancel: cill string and angle buttresses to east. Two 2-light windows to south with hoodmoulds and carved stops, and large 3-light east window with geometrical tracery and hoodmould with carved stops. North side: 2-light window with hoodmould and carved stops. North chapel: square headed 2-light east window and 2 square headed 2 light windows to north. Door with 4 centered moulded arch and returned hoodmould. Nave: north side: 2 lancets. West end: 3 lancets with hoodmoulds and carved stops, and circular window with plate tracery in gable end above. Vestry : 2 square headed 5-light windows to east, and door to north. Interior: 4 bay south aisle arcade, 3 moulded arches to east with round piers, stiff leaf capitals and hoodmoulds with carved stops, Cl9 chamfered arch to west. C19 four-bay nave roof, reset north doorway, end shafted west windows. C19 four-bay south aisle roof, east lancets with purbeck marble shafts and carved capitals, shafted south lancets, and squint to north-east. C19 chancel arch, shafted east window, Cl9 sedile to south and early Cl6 two-bay 4-centred arched arcade to north. Fittings include; C12 pillar piscina in north chapel, C15 wooden screen between chancel and north chapel, C19 reredos, C19 octagonal pulpit, C19 octagonal font, C13 font with trefoiled arcade, and curved Cl3 image bracket in south aisle to east. Monuments include: circa 1500 chest tomb in chancel to Thomas Englefield with quatrefoil panels, vaulted canopy, and brasses to east, possibly also need as Easter sepulchre; tablet in north chapel to John Englefield of 1605 and 3 figure, with tablet to Milburg Alpress of 1803 with kneeling woman and child by urn; large tablet in nave to the Marquess of Winchester of 1675 with poem by Dryden, and Gothic tablet to Richard Benyon of 1854; 2 arched recesses in south aisle with effigies of knight and Lady, and Berniniesque tablet to Mrs. Benyon of 1777 by Thomas Carter consisting of 2 women attending to collapsing lady, drapery behind and open segmental pediment above on brackets with cartouche in tympanum. Other monuments. V.C.H. (Berks), Vol.3, 409-412; B.0.E, Berkshire, pp.136-138; Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p.124.

Listing NGR: SU6238572002

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 409-412
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 136-138
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 124
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949)

National Grid Reference: SU 62385 71995

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 08:24:02.