List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RAWLINSON MEMORIAL APPROXIMATELY 13 METRES NORTH OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1212472

Location

RAWLINSON MEMORIAL APPROXIMATELY 13 METRES NORTH OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, PRIORY CHURCHYARD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireLancasterDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 383262

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANCASTER

SD4761NW PRIORY CHURCHYARD 1685-1/6/229 Rawlinson Memorial, approximately 13 metres north of tower of Church of St Mary

GV II

Monument. Late C18. Limestone ashlar with some marble details, on sandstone base within cast-iron railings. Square on plan, with 4 slightly tapering panels above the plinth, each of which contains an oval marble plaque bearing inscriptions which are now virtually indecipherable but which were recorded by Roper. They included, on the south side, the names of Henry Rawlinson (d.1786), MM and FE Hesketh (d.1793), Edward Fleetwood Hesketh (d.1795), and Maria Hesketh (d.1801). On the east side: Abraham Rawlinson (d.1829). On the north side: William Lindow (d.1786) and Abigail Lindow (d.1791). On the west side: Ellen Ainslie (d.1791). Above each face is a triangular pediment, and the whole is capped with a marble urn (now without its lid) standing on a scotia-moulded pedestal. The monument stands on a square pavement of sandstone flags laid within a sandstone border on which stand sharp-pointed cast-iron railings with turned standards with urn finials. (Chetham Society Transactions: Roper WO: Materials for the History of the Church of Lancaster: Manchester: 1906-: 734).

Listing NGR: SD4733061960

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Roper, W O - Title: Materials for the History of the Church of Lancaster - Date: 1906 - Page References: 734

National Grid Reference: SD 47330 61960

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Aug-2014 at 03:52:37.