List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PRIDEAUX PLACE

List entry Number: 1212008

Location

PRIDEAUX PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityPadstow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Apr-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 396524

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PADSTOW PRIDEAUX PLACE, Padstow SW 9075-9175 8/120 Prideaux Place 24.4.53

GV I

Country house. Circa late C16, attributed to Nicholas Prideaux who inherited in 1581 and died in 1592. Extended and partly remodelled by Edmund Prideaux (1683-1745) and possibly by his son Humphrey. Considerably remodelled by Rev Charles Prideaux-Brune between circa 1810 and 1833 and service rooms extended in 1907. Slate stone rubble with moulded granite plinth. Battered base to main range, not continuing around the front wings and porch. There is a distinct straight joint at the angle between the front range and the 2 projecting wings and the masonry of the front wall is finely coursed whilst that of the front wings is rubble. Moulded granite strings. South front refaced with ashlar slate stone in circa 1810-1833. Slate roof with hipped ends remodelled between 1730-1758. Renewed rendered axial and end stacks. Plan: Only partial internal access was available at time of inspection (1987) and the roof structure was not inspected. For a detailed account see H.B.M.C. report 12 May 1986. The original house, attributed by Carew to Nicholas Prideaux, was probably of an overall H shaped plan facing east with a central 2 storey porch. The hall on the higher left hand (south) side of the central passage was heated by a rear later stack with family rooms probably in the south cross wing, a parlour or withdrawing room on the lower right hand side (north) of the passage with service rooms in the centre of the north cross wing. The great chamber above the hall has a fine quality circa late C16 or early C17 plaster ceiling. Edmund Prideaux inherited Prideaux Place in 1728 and left documents including drawings of the house. In an undated drawing of the east front, the house was illustrated with gable ends to the front wings and there are drawings of the south elevation wings as existing in the early C18 and with proposed alterations including a remodelling of the windows. Many of the rooms have fine quality bolection moulded panelling, traditionally reused from the demolished Grenville house at Stowe, Kilhampton. This includes panelling in the reading room in the west wing, in the south east room in the south cross wing, in the steward's room on the right hand side of the passage and in the grand chamber above the hall which was divided into 2 rooms and the ceiling covered. The hall was possibly remodelled in the early C18 and extended to incorporate the passage; the hall was given a cornice and moulded ribs to ceiling. The panelling in the hall is of at least 3 phases, the screen probably late C16 or early C17 and the remaining panelling circa early C17 apparently reset. Coeval with this bake-house range to the north west of the north wing may have been added and retains several early C18 12-pane sashes with heavy glazing bars. In a Borlase print of 1758 the house is illustrated with hipped ends to the front wing; the existing arrangement being an alteration that was either executed by Edmund Prideaux after his drawing of circa 1730s or by his son Humphrey prior to 1758. Coeval with this the 2-storey north-east wing was probably added. Rev Charles Prideaux-Brune inherited Prideaux in 1793 and much of the Gothick remodelling of the house is traditionally associated with his work between 1820 and 1833. However, this work appears somewhat archaic in style and would normally be associated with a late C18 date. The south front was refaced and remodelled with a central battlemented bow with pinnacles ot the drawing room and oval bedroom above. A new stair hall was formed in the extension to the rear of the hall and passage with Gothick detailing and the south west block was refaced and remodelled to form the library. In 1907 the rear court was infilled and in 1960 the parapet and pinnacles above the south bay were reduced. Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 1:2:1:2:1 windows east front with later range to north east (right). Castellated parapets with moulded plinth to main range and moulded granite strings. Central 2 storey porch flanked by 2 wings to right and left. Inner east entrance has C17 tripple laped door with framing and moulded arch with vase stops. 4-light mullion window in ground and first floor with 4-centred arch to porch and 2-light mullion window above. 2 storey range to right with single window front. South front. Asymmetrical garden front with 4-centred arched openings and mullion and transon windows. Central bay with low library tower to left which has a battlemented parapet with finials. Interior: Only partial access available and the roof structure was not inspected. Through passage probably remodelled in early C18 when the partition on the higher side was removed and the moulded hall cornice was continued around the passage. Fine quality carved screen with circa late C16 or early C17 dentailing inserted on higher side of passage. The panelling in the hall is reset and probably of at least 3 phases including small carved figures with rotating arms. C20 hall chimney-piece. Moulded cornice and C18 moulded plaster to joists in hall. Bolection moulded panelling in steward's room on lower right hand side of passage and in east room of south cross wing. Drawing room in south cross wing has a circa early C19 moulded plaster cornice ornamented with quatrefoils and the reading room to west has complete bolection moulded panelling and fine quality carving. The library has a vaulted ceiling and the detailing is of circa mid to late C18 style although traditionally attributed to Rev Charles Prideaux-Brune's work of the early C19. The Gothick detailing of the stair hall is also archaic for the early C19, but is of a fine quality with complete plasterwork, canopied recesses and granite cantilever stair with iron balustrade. Chamber above has a circa 1600 historiated plaster barrel vaulted ceiling restored in the 1980s, depicting Susanna and the Elders. (Compare with ceiling a Lanhydrock qv and figures in overmantles at Trewarne, St Kew (qv). Full inspection of interior and roof structure not available. HBMC report by D.B. Sumpster, 12 May 1986. Cornforth, J 'Prideaux Place, Cornwall' Country Life, Feb 1, 1962 and Feb 8, 1962.

Listing NGR: SW9137575572

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 8 February, (1962)
'Country Life' in 1 February, (1962)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,

National Grid Reference: SW 91375 75572

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 12:34:58.