List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (PLUMSTEAD)

List entry Number: 1211745

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (PLUMSTEAD), ST NICHOLAS ROAD SE18

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityGreenwichLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Mar-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 396270

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 4412 ST NICHOLAS ROAD SE18

Church of St Nicholas (Plumstead) TQ 4578 22/W5 26.3.54

II*

Church. Nave and aisles, west tower and chancel. The present south aisle was the original nave and is of medieval date: the west wall is C12, the south wall C13, with arched doorways and windows within. C14 blocked doorway at east end of south wall. Random rubble masonry with restored parts roughcast. The north aisle was added in C15 to the medieval nave and now forms the present nave. The church was restored in 1867-8 by C.H.Cooke, and enlarged on the north side in 1907-8 by Greenaway and Newberry, in Arts and Crafts Perpendicular style. The new arcade matches the old one. The chancel is of the same period, all of purplish brick with stone dressings. High-pitched tiled roof. Foundations of medieval south transept visible on south side of church. Tower built into the church at the west end, 1664: 3 stages, brownish-red brick with corbelled stone cornice, battlemented parapet and angle turrets. Simple window tracery of moulded brick. INTERIOR: Timber arch-braced collar-beam roof. North aisle: C15 4-bay arcade with hollow-chamfered arches on octagonal columns. Fittings: High altar, altar and baldacchino in north-east chapel, font, clergy and choir stalls all by Stephen Dykes Bower; reredos painting by Donald Towner. East window by Martin Travers. All these date from post-war restoration of the church by T.F.Ford & Partners, 1959. Memorials: some C18 tablets, including one to British Defence Engineer, William Green, Bart. R.E.



Listing NGR: TQ4593178545

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 45931 78545

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 11:13:41.