List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROYAL NAVAL COLLEGE SOUTH WEST BUILDING KING WILLIAM'S QUARTER

List entry Number: 1211426

Location

ROYAL NAVAL COLLEGE SOUTH WEST BUILDING KING WILLIAM'S QUARTER, ROMNEY ROAD SE10

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityGreenwichLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Jun-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 395931

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 4412 ROMNEY ROAD SE10 (North Side)

Royal Naval College South-West building "King William's Quarter" TQ 3877 26/G107C

I

2. Begun 1698 to design of Sir Christopher Wren. Hall, dome and colonnade completed 1703. West front by Vanbrugh 1728. East (inner front) a long colonnade of paired Tuscan columns with set back, balustraded upper floor above. At north-east corner tower of 2 stages with drum and dome above. Lower stage square, 1-bay wmth wide open pediment and high round arched window with flanking niches. Upper stage round, of Corinthian columns, with diagonal projections. Low drum with raised eaves on axes. Ribbed leaded dome with oval windows in lower part and columned cupola with vane above. South front 4 storeys and basement. Enriched entablature and parapet. Slightly projecting pedimented end bays with pilasters on 3rd floor and quoins below. All windows sashes with glazing bars and all but ground floor in moulded architraves, those on 3rd floor shouldered. Console bracketed broken cornices and triple keystones to 2nd floor windows. Modified Gibbs surround and console bracketed cornices to 1st floor windows. Windows in outer bays in tall, round arched recesses with oval attic windows. 3rd floor window in right bay flanked by round arched niches. Below this, return of inner colonnade 6 pairs of Tuscan columns, the outer ones square, with entablature and balustraded parapet. West front arranged in 3 blocks. Red brick with Portland stone dressings, and stone facade to 3-bay centre, Inner block of 4 storeys and basement, 11 windows. Rebated angles with inner and outer quoins. 2 square ½-colums and 2 fluted round columns support Doric entablature and parapet, lower at sides. Gauged brick arches to recessed sash windows with glazing bars. Tall, round-arched 1st floor centre window with oval window above. Round arched entrance below. 3-storey, 1-window links, with windows in open-pedimented entablature surround, to 3-bay end pavilions under wide segmental pediments. Deep recess with oval window in tympanum. Stone quoins. Segment headed 2nd floor windows with drip mould and cill band. Round arched 1st floor windows with cill band. Moulded stone architraves. Segment headed ground floor windows with spring string. Inside, the Painted Hall. Vestibule under dome has columns painted in grisaille and sculpture in pendentives. Flight of steps and screen of composite columns to Lower Hall of 8 main bays divided by composite pilasters supporting enriched entablature. All painted in grisaille to give effect of fluted columns and pilasters, enriched architraves and rosette-panelled reveals, trophies of arms on West wall and cartouches over doors. 6 steps and proscenium-type arch to smaller upper hall. Signs of zodiac in high relief on archivolt. Ceilings painted by Sir James Thornhill between 1708 and 1716. In Eastern bay figures representing tidal rivers drawn up by the moon around a Spanish galleon and surrounded by figures of great astronomers. In oval centre William and Mary surrounded by Virtues, with Louis XIV underfoot, bordered by figures representing Seasons and Signs of Zodiac (a portrait of an old pensioner of the Hospital introduced as Winter.) In western arch Vices chased from Heavens by Minerva and Hercules, around another Spanish Galleon; and figures representing the City of London and rivers; and Greek scientists. In Upper Hall ceiling Queen Anne and her consort, Prince George of Denmark, in a medallion surrounded by Virtues; with sea gods and sea creatures welcoming the return of the Maritime Agent. 4 side panels of the Continents. Flower pieces in corners by Charles Lebrun. Walls painted by pupils of Thornhill, allegorical scenes in grisaille. Inner courtyard of this building has, on East side, a colonnaded portico with pediment containing sculptures representing Nelson's battles in Coade stone by Benjamin West.

Listing NGR: TQ3858977860

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 38589 77860

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2014 at 04:29:41.