List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DODINGTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1211169

Location

DODINGTON HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
South GloucestershireUnitary AuthorityDodington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 395713

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 77 NE DODINGTON C.P. DODINGTON PARK

6/54 Dodington House 17.9.52 G.V. I

House. 1796-1816. By James Wyatt for Christopher Bethell Codrington. Limestone ashlar, slate and copper roofs. Roman classical style. West front of 2 storeys and 9 bays, central 5 bays set behind immense hexastyle portico with Roman Corinthian columns of plinths and shallow pediment, central curved panelled vault with one bay to each side having flat panelled ceiling. Central 5 bays on plinth have 3 central tall round-headed openings, each with C20 glass doors, to each side of central door a small niche containing a metal lion, 2 outer bays slightly set forward with Roman Corinthianantae to each side and 2 freestanding columns, have taller similar openings with similar doors set in recesses, string course above; at first floor 3 central bays have balcony on scrolled and acanthus console brackets with lion masks, cast iron screen of 5 panels with fluted baluster between each, 3 C20 French windows in plain reveals, moulded string course, 2 outer bays have stone balustrade between pilasters and similar French window. 2 bays to each side of portico have 2 concealed basement windows below moulded plinth, 2 large sashes in plain reveals at ground floor, band course, two 9-pane sashes at first floor, moulded string course, cornice and blocking course, cast iron trellis with Greek key pattern in front at ground floor level; all sashes with thin glazing bars. South front of 2 storeys with central attic bay, 2:3:2 bays, centre broken forward slightly with central bay recessed; central tall C20 French window, side lights with recessed panel below each and recessed panel on pilaster to each side, cornice and pediment, engaged Roman Corinthian column to full height of elevation at each side, breaking through continuous band course, 9-pane sash in moulded architrave at first floor; each side flanked by Roman Corinthian pilaster, large sash in moulded architrave at ground floor with recessed panel on apron and floating cornice, similar 9-pane sash at first floor; frieze, cornice, attic storey over central bay with recessed panel and 3-pane central window, plain pilaster to each side, cornice, balustrade to each side with terminal die; 2 outer bays have moulded plinth, 2 large sashes in plain reveals at ground floor, two 9-pane sashes at first floor, moulded string course, cornice and blocking course. East elevation of basement and 2 storeys, 3:5:3 bays, outer 3 bays broken forward with semi-circular bow to full height; basement has lower part in rusticated sandstone, 5 central 16-pane sashes, 3 similar sashes in bow to right, bow to left has blocked window, French window and 16-pane sash, moulded string course at cills of ground floor windows, all large sashes, band course, 9-pane sashes at first floor moulded string course, cornice and blocking course, all windows in plain reveals. North elevation has 2 projecting wings in ashlar, rest rendered, wing to left has 2 C20 French windows at basement level, large recess at ground floor with segmental head and band course within, blind window at first floor, string course and cornice returned from south elevation, similar arrangement to right above Orangery (q.v.) with one 16-pane sash and blind window at first floor; central bays have irregular windows, sashes and one 21-pane sash, cornice and parapet, 2-storey block to left with external stair leading to door, leaded dome with lantern, base boarded visible to left; north elevation previously had attached servants wing, demolished 1932. Interior: vestibule has alcoves with shallow guilloche mouldings and fanned domes; entrance hall the same length as portico to west has 3 steps at either end, porphyry scagliola columns with gilded composite capitals supporting a frieze set with lion masks, compartment ceiling, to each end the ceiling has elliptical coving with gilded trophies of arms in the corners, octagonal coffering taken from the Basilica of Maxentius, the floor repeating the pattern of the ceiling in black marble, red stone and Painswick stone with brass inlay, black marble and gilt fireplace to rear, 3 round-arched recesses to rear of room and central round-headed niche to each side, at each side of niches, tall panelled doors. Opening to rear right of hall leads to great staircase, planned on axis of vestibule leading to garden to south; first flight divides on a landing to 2 parallel second flights, with ironwork, made c.1760, Rococo style and possibly Italian, brought from Fonthill, Wiltshire (demolished 1808), reeded handrail by Wyatt, with Regency balusters between wrought iron panels, some rising above the rail as gasoliers (designed by Bramah); first floor landing supported by 3 arches carried on fluted columns with composite capitals, floor above has Corinthian columns, balconies either side leading to passages, central lantern with ribbed dome. Library and drawing room on south front divided by octagonal vestibule, with fine marble fireplaces, drawing room has scagliola pilasters made by Bertoli and Alcott, fine doors with frieze over of winged animals and urns, same frieze below cornice, panelled shutters to windows. In course of restoration at time of survey (September 1984). (Sources: Verey, D. : Buildings of England Gloucestershire : The cotswolds. 1970. Country Life LV, 170-75, CXX 1176-9 and 1230-3).

Listing NGR: ST7525079860

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Country Life' in Country Life, (), 1176-1179
'Country Life' in Country Life, (), 1230-1233
Other
Part 1 Avon,

National Grid Reference: ST 75250 79860

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 05:26:46.