List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HADHAM HALL (HADHAM HALL SCHOOL HERTFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL) 400 METRES FROM ROAD

List entry Number: 1211099

Location

HADHAM HALL (HADHAM HALL SCHOOL HERTFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL) 400 METRES FROM ROAD, STORTFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityLittle Hadham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 395673

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4522 LITTLE HADHAM STORTFORD ROAD (north side)

11/1 Hadham Hall (Hadham Hall School: 19.10.57 Herts C.C.) 400 metres from road

GV II*

Country House, now a school. c.1572. Large brick courtyard house of Henry Capel, replacing a C15 house to SE. Extensions to E with terraced gardens, by Arthur Capel, c.1634. Reduced to S and W wings c.1668 when Earl of Essex moved to Cassiobury. Altered c.1720. E part of S wing demolished 1848. Renovated and extended to N 1901-2 by William Minet (owner acting as architect). Converted to a school 1949-52. English bond narrow red brick. Moulded brick plastered mullions and window surrounds. Steep old red tile roofs. 1902 additions in red brick with stone dressings and crowsteps. Present U-shaped plan represents C16 W range substantially intact: W half of C16 S range, with outer arch of a central S gateway: and N range rebuilt in 1902, with tall single storey billiard room (1902) on N. Cellars of S range continue to E under garden. W range had sets of lodgings, on 2 floors and attics, entered from courtyard by small doorways now blocked. Central W gateway, flanked by semi-octagonal turrets in W, now main entrance. A wide corridor with heavy timbered partition and moulded arched doorways, ran within the back of this range and survives on the 1st floor. S range has a lofty 1st floor, and a low Ground floor raised up on a tunnel-vaulted cellar with 4 centred vault. N range has service rooms with domestic accommodation above. Symmetrical W front of 2 storeys with plinth, and parapet ramping up to 3 storeys crenelated turrets. Straight gabled parapet to 3 storeys centre, with round arched stone entrance, moulded imposts and correct Doric entablature, with paterae between triglyphs, breaking forward for columns since removed. 4-light ovolo- moulded, mullioned and transomed windows, with pediments on W front and 2 windows on each floor, each side of gate. Smaller pedimented windows to turrets and attics. Panelled square brick finials to corners. Parapeted gables with chimneys each with 2 octagonal shafts, 1 decorated. Roof structure and rebuilt parapet suggest former gabled dormers, perhaps crow stepped, along W front. Crow stepped W gable of S wing original. Straight joints suggest N half of W range built first, and S half and turrets later. Roof structure of clasped purlin collar trusses with curved wind braces unusually rising from top of purlin to principal. Cranked timbers carry a platform for a cupola, now gone. Ground floor room S of gateway has early C18 stair in D-shaped rear projection, and fine Arts and Crafts chimneypiece c.1902, of polished hardwood, inset with large Persian tiles, a decorated enamelled band, carved achievement, and a deep ceramic frieze of cats at ceiling (rebus of Minet). Fine C16 chimneypiece and painted oak panelling in SW room. 2 panelled rooms over now 1, with small C17 oak panelling and fluted frieze with triglyphs. Corner lobby in SE, of wainscott with cockspur hinges. Tall fluted pilasters flank S fireplace with 'Japanese' cast iron grate to Thomas Jeckyll design. Grand 1st floor of S range unequally divided c.1720, with fine bolection moulded, panelled interiors with moulded cornices, 6- panelled doors and tall sash windows along S front. Square pier rises from cellar floor to support central fireplaces on 1st floor. Small roundheaded windows to Ground floor with C17 external stack at SE corner of range. Centrepiece of an important group of historic buildings. (RCHM (1911) 145-6: VCH (1914) 51-3 and plan: Minet (1914): Douglas (1973): Pevsner (1977) 240-1: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL4524922765

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 240-1
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 45249 22765

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 02:54:46.