List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WESTFIELD

List entry Number: 1211024

Location

WESTFIELD, PIG LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityLittle Hadham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Apr-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 395453

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 42 SW LITTLE HADHAM PIG LANE (south side) Westland Green

1/8 Westfield

-

GV II*

House. C16 origin: remodelled and greatly enlarged in mid C17. Long, irregular,facing N. Timberframed and red brick with old red tiled roofs. Oldest part to E of central chimney is a 2 bay former open hall, with a tension brace and rebated doorway and chamfered window jamb at 1st floor level on its E wall for entry to a former storeyed wing to E, now replaced by a large rectangular 3 storeyed C17 wing. The hall has an inserted floor on chamfered cross beams, and a large central chimney with back- to-back fireplaces within its lower (W) end. There is an entrance lobby on its N side now protected by a gabled enclosed brick porch of 1846 (inscribed on brick). Lower, 2 storeys, timberframed, 2-bay part W of chimney is plastered with weatherboarded apron. 3-light early C18 mullioned leaded lattice window with iron casement on 1st floor. Single storey kitchen on W has 3-light, C17, ovolo-moulded window and is entered from a cross passage on W separately roofed. A fine, C17, tall, red brick brewhouse terminates the range on the W, which has contemporary brick E projections enclosing the cross passage, from which it is entered. Half-hipped, old red tile roof and inserted red brick chimney inside against W gable. Open to roof with trimming for central louvre in 3 bay, clasped purlin roof. Original diamond-mullioned unglazed wooden windows, 3-light at high level on S (blocked internally) and 4-light on N. Small square opening high in W gable blocked by later chimney. Tall cast iron pump fixed outside N wall, serves well dated 1832. Large mid C17 E wing has red brick Ground floor and 2 upper floors with thin timber frame and diagonal braces exposed externally with plastered panels. Hipped old red tile roof with coved eaves. Blocked doorways on E front suggest an original 3 storeyed porch, now replaced by an off-centre timber-framed gabled ?C19 porch with benches inside. C19 sash or casement windows. Carved wooden oriel on S inserted in place of C19 canted bay window in early C20. Plan of Ewing gives, on each floor, a main room on S and lesser room on N with staircase and lobby in NW corner. Very fine oak dogleg stair with carved asymmetrical flat balusters and elaborate newel finials run through all floors and to former attic. Blocked 3-light ovolo- moulded mullioned window on attic landing. Ground floor main room has fine 4-centred arched brick fireplace on W and elaborate ceiling beam with double ovolo moulding and stop carved with bar, lozenge and fleur-de-lis. 1st floor room has similar moulded beam. Top floor smaller room has painted simulated panelling of red stiles and rails. The plank doors give a moulded sunk panel on the room side. In the hall C17 oak panelling and cupboards with H hinges. Cupboard doors on S of fireplace have painted central motif of red oval framed in arabesques (E Clive Rouse suggests c.1635 (RCHM Typescript)). This house may be the grange called Caldwyns mentioned in the C16 which gave an alternative name to the manor of the Castle of Cailes (VCH (1914) 55).

Listing NGR: TL4236521512

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1914 - Page References: 55

National Grid Reference: TL 42365 21512

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 07:19:21.