List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UKRANIAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL UKRANIAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL (KING'S WEIGH HOUSE CHURCH)

List entry Number: 1210923

Location

UKRANIAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL (KING'S WEIGH HOUSE CHURCH), BINNEY STREET W1
UKRANIAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL, DUKE STREET W1

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCity of WestminsterLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Dec-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 209547

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2881 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER DUKE STREET, W1 55/56 Ukranian Catholic 14.1.70 Cathedral (Formerly listed as The King's Weigh House Chapel)

GV II*

Church. 1888-91 by Alfred Waterhouse, as a Congregational Church. Redbrick and plentiful buff terracotta dressings (Burmantofts); tiled roofs. carolingian Romanesque style. Corner-site running between Binney and Duke Streets. Above the rectangular ground floor level rises the elliptical body of the auditorium; tripartite, west entrance front to Duke Street, its symmetry broken by south west corner tower with steeple and, to left, by gable and ventilation turret. Triple arcaded porch in antis approached by flight of steps; centre group of tall narrow round arched lancets above, inscribed under relieving arch, and elaborated gable with arcaded machicol ations. The tower has narrow arcaded screens to middle stage and octagonal bell stage within square, pinnacled, corner buttresses, spire with gablets. Coupled gabled doorways at head of steps to Binney Street/Weighhouse Street corner, surmounted by gabled dormer in ground storey parapet. The auditorium ellipse has a steep hipped roof with iron ridge cresting. The interior has rectangular ground floor but the elliptical shape is picked up at 1st floor level by the horseshoe gallery upper walls and ceiling; glazed brick walls and 4 structural columns faced in faience; simple woodwork to gallery; sympathetic alterations to chancel by J.J. Burnet, 1903 including east window (with glass by Anning Bell) and east screen wall and flanking organ cases; pews introduced and pulpit removed for Ukranian Cathedral with a confessional by J.F.Bentley from Westminster Cathedral; etc. Survey of London; Vol. XL.

Listing NGR: TQ2842581013

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - The Grosvenor Estate in Mayfair Part 2 The buildings: Volume 40 , , Vol. 40, (1980)

National Grid Reference: TQ 28425 81013

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 07:13:50.