List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1210885

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireHuntingdonshireDistrict AuthorityKimbolton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-May-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 395463

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KIMBOLTON HIGH STREET TL 095675 (NORTH SIDE) 6/62 CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW 14.5.59 I Parish Church recorded in Domesday Survey, 1086, but the north and south arcades are C13 and the external appearance is mainly C14 with C15 additions. The roofs of the north and south aisles are noteworthy as are the screens and monuments. Of Barnack and rubblestone with some pebblestone. Early C14 west tower with broach spire. Of three stages on plinth with four stage angle buttressing and newel staircase in north west angle. Moulded main cornice enriched with mask and other ornament. The doorway and other openings are early C14. Three stage broach spire with three tiers of gabled spire lights. C14 nave, embattled, with four early C14 windows to each side of clerestorey. C15 south aisle and chapel. Embattled with cut-down corner pinnacles. Five three-light windows with vertical tracery and a similar five-light window to east end. C15 south porch, also embattled. Similar outer and inner arches with shafts and moulded jambs in two centred arches with square heads and tracery to spandrels. Round headed niche above outer archway. Chancel, C14, with south wall rebuilt C18. C15 east window, restored. C14 north aisle and north chapel. Ogee heads to five cinquefoil lights in four centred arches. 1853 porch to Montagu family vault beneath north chapel. 1847 north vestry. Interior. The marks of the original roof are visible in the east wall of the tower, above the early C14 tower arch. Early C13 north arcade of four bays. Two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with label of nail head ornament, on alternate round and octagonal columns. Late C13 south arcade of four bays. Similar arches and moulded label on round columns. C15 nave roof, restored. Jackposts on C15 grotesque corbels. North and south aisles have fine C15 roofs. Main beams and principal rafters with carved bosses at intersections. Jackposts in north aisle and intermediate principal rafters in both aisles are carved with figures, those in north aisle are of St. Michael and Angels with emblems of Passion. Chancel arch C14. Two centred and of three moulded orders with the responds on linked attached shafts with moulded capitals. North of the chancel arch is a small niche with cinquefoil tracery and crocketed ogee head. One C15 arch to north wall and another to south wall of chancel. C13 font, square bowl on repaired central and detached subsidiary shafts. Screens. Between north chapel and north aisle, C15, of four bays, part restored. Between south chapel and south aisle, late C16 and of five bays, including bay for opening. Cinquefoil and subcusped tracery with ogee heads. Traces of original painting to closed lower panels. Monuments. South chapel. 1632 wall monument to Lady Isabella Smyth. 1642 altar tomb and wall monument to Henry, lst Earl of Manchester. 1658 free standing monument to Essex, Countess of Manchester. 1641, similar monument to Rt. Hon. Anne, Lady Mandeville. South aisle: 1722 wall monument to William Ashton VCH (Hunts) Vol. III. RCHM (Hunts) p167. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p275. Norris Museum, St. Ives, Inskip Ladds Records.

Listing NGR: TL0993067862

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Inventory of Huntingdonshire - Date: 1926 - Page References: 167
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W and Proby, G - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon - Date: 1936 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 167
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough - Date: 1968 - Page References: 275

National Grid Reference: TL 09930 67862

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 06:57:19.