List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1210868

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireHuntingdonshireDistrict AuthorityAbbotsley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-May-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 395444

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 2256 ABBOTSLEY HIGH STREET (South Side) 10/13 (18/1A) Church of 14.5.59 St. Margaret

GV II*

Mainly C14 parish church of west tower, nave and north and south aisles. The 1861 chancel, north vestry and north porch are by Butterfield. The C14 tomb recess in the south aisle is note- worthy. Late C14 or perhaps C15 west tower of pebblestone with some sandstone and Barnack. Embattled and of four stages on splayed plinth. Four stage set back buttressing with newel staircase in south west angle. There are beast gargoyles to the centre of the main cornice. Surmounting and at each corner of the parapet is a figure of a king, the two at the south east and south west corners are C16, and those at north east and north west are C19 or C20 restorations. They are said to represent Macbeth, Malcolm, Harold and William. C19 west doorway of Ketton stone with original label and stops of clunch. C15 west window of three lights with vertical tracery. Bell stage has in each wall, two cinquefoil openings in four centred head with label. Nave mainly of pebblestone with C19 and C20 steeply pitched plain tiled roof. Each side of late C14 clerestorey has five windows of two trefoil lights in square head. C14 south aisle with four C20 windows of Wheldon stone, each of two lights with flowing tracery and two centred arch. C14 south doorway of two chamfered orders. East window of south aisle has three cinquefoil lights in four centred head with mask stops. North aisle similar. Chancel and north vestry mainly pebblestone with tiled roof and Ketton surrounds to windows. Interior. North arcade of four bays. Two centred arches of two chamfered orders on columns, quatrefoil in section, with small rolls to the angles and moulded capitals and bases. South arcade also of four bays with two centred arches of two chamfered orders. Octagonal columns and capitals. The C19 or C20 nave roof rests on C15 corbels, some carved. The gable end of the original nave roof is visible in the east wall of the tower. There is a fine C14 tomb recess in the south, aisle of the church. Moulded and cinquefoiled ogee head, carved with tendrils and foliate ornament and flanked by buttresses surmounded by crocketed pinnacles carved with paterae. Above the ogee arch are two coats of arms of Tilly. C13 font. Tapering octagonal bowl of limestone on octagonal base. The roof of the north aisle retains some C15 moulded tie beams and in the east wall, two C15 brackets carved with angels. The C16 oak screen under the chancel arch was originally under the tower arch. Of three bays including central opening, traceried heads and closed lower panels. VCH (Hunts) Vol. II (p257). RCHM (Hunts) mon. (1). Pevsner: Buildings of England, p203.

Listing NGR: TL2277556538

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 203
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1948), 157

National Grid Reference: TL 22775 56538

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 10:40:18.