List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1210813

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthoritySkelton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73963

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 43 NE SKELTON HUTTON-IN-THE-FOREST (NY 45950 36450)

10/228 Church of St James

II

Church. 1714 incorporating part of the medieval church, with extensive restoration in 1867-8 by Anthony Salvin for the Fletcher-Vane family of Hutton Hall. Mixed pink and grey sandstone rubble walls with flush quoins and eaves cornice, on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finial. 3-bay nave with twin open bellcote; 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Nave has west and south doors in Tudor arches under hoodmoulds. 2- and 3-light Tudor style windows. Built into the north wall is a fragment of a C9 interlace cross-shaft. Chancel has 2-light windows and 3-light east window, the south wall showing the possible remains of a medieval round-headed window. Interior of nave has C19 open timber roof. Rear gallery has C18 turned balusters, creed and pater boards; and underneath it a medieval graveslab. Chancel has Royal Arms of George III dated 1780. Various elaborate C18 and C19 white marble wall plaques to members of the Fletcher-Vane family. Late C17 altar rail has turned balusters. Description in Penith Observer, 17th March 1968, p6.

Listing NGR: NY4594836446

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Penith Observer' in 17 March, (1968), 6

National Grid Reference: NY 45948 36446

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 02:28:21.