List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TWO AND THREE STOREY BUILDINGS AT NORTH WEST END OF STREET FRONTAGE AND FORMING PART OF THE ST MARY'S POTTERY IN THE OWNERSHIP OF ROAYAL DOULTON

List entry Number: 1210805

Location

TWO AND THREE STOREY BUILDINGS AT NORTH WEST END OF STREET FRONTAGE AND FORMING PART OF THE ST MARY'S POTTERY IN THE OWNERSHIP OF ROAYAL DOULTON, UTTOXETER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of Stoke-on-TrentUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1993

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Dec-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 384514

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKE ON TRENT

SJ94SW UTTOXETER ROAD, Longton 613-1/7/98 (North East side) St Mary's Pottery works in occupation of Royal Doulton

II

Pottery works. 1862. Brick with terracotta dressings and plain tiled roofs. 2-storeyed, 13 bays (6-1-6). Central pediment over entrance arch with Palladian window over, and cartouche in the apex, inscribed "St Mary's Mount Pleasant, 1862". This entrance bay is flanked by round-arched windows recessed in brick architraves with rubbed brick arched heads and keyblocks. Continuous stuccoed sill bands, and stuccoed eaves cornice. Adjoining to the left, a further range added in 1888. 3 storeys, 8 bays (1-6-1) with outer gabled bays with inserted lower windows and tripartite windows over, with terracotta panels beneath them, and stone string course. Terracotta panel in apex of pediment with date in shield adn foliate swags etc. String courses continue across facade to form round-arched hood moulds over windows. Overhanging eaves carried on paired console brackets which continue across base of pediment.

Listing NGR: SJ9173942950

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 91739 42950

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 10:40:27.