List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1210713

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MOUNT LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
West BerkshireUnitary AuthorityChaddleworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 395295

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 47 SW CHADDLEWORTH MOUNT LANE (North Side) 7/11 Church of St. Andrew 24.11.66 G.V. I

Church. C11, 13 and 16 with C18 additions and 1851 chancel by G.E. Street. Rough cast render on flint with stone quoins and dressings, flint plinth, flint south porch and blue brick chancel. Plain tiled roof with patterned grey tiles on chancel. West Tower, nave, south porch, chancel, 2 pews and vestry to north; South Elevation:- Tower to left with single louvre in moulded surround with cusped pointed head and label mould over; moulded string with carved heads and double louvre over. Moulded string with carved heads at base of plain parapet with stone coping. South Porch:- gable parapet and 2 centred arched entrance under drip mould. South Doorway:-- C11 with round head, chevron patterned jambs with fluted caps and 2 rows of chevrons round the arch, the outer course having carved heads at springing; a mass clock has been cut into the jamb below the right hand capital. Above the door is a decorated niche for a statue. Nave:- 3 light and 2 light windows with square heads and label moulds flanking doorway with cambered head. Chancel:- higher pitched roof than nave with gable parapets and stone buttresses; 3 light window in 2 centred arch with drip mould to left, lancet to right. West Elevation:- Tower with window of 2 centred arch with re-set billet mould over and restored perpendicular tracery; clock face over and moulded string with carved heads; double louvre below stone with inscription "MBR 1637 AMP" North Elevation:- lean to vestry on chancel with 2 lancets; 2 lancets to nave. Breaking forward from nave are two pews with gabled tiled roofs, that to left being brick with oval in gable and that to right rendered with dentil course to eaves; this is partly built over 2 light window in nave wall, stair to tower under pent roof. Interior:- walls plastered and painted. Nave:- 5½ bays, 3 bays to west have collar roof with arch braces, curved wind braces and butt purlin, central ½ bay showing junction of 2 builds, 2 bays to east of ties and collars with arch braces, double butt purlins. Chancel:- arch, chamfered 2 centred springing off triple columns with plain coved caps and plinth bases, 2 steps up; 3 bays with cusped bracing to collars. Tower:- arch, distorted ogee, recessed and chamfered with carved head at springing. Pews:- built at right angles to nave on north are two family pews, that to east of 1706, the Blandy pew, reached by 3 steps with turned balustrade and gate across semi-circular arched opening. Plain barrel vault roof. To west, the Wroughton pew, 1765, 4 steps up to opening with Tuscan pilasters supporting frieze and cornice and closed by turned balustrade with gate, raised and fielded panelled dado with fitted bench seats all round. Monuments:- South Wall:- 2 stone and marble aedicules, one to Bartholomew Tipping of Woolley 1737, the other to Bartholomew Tipping of Woolley 1718. North Wall:- above pulpit, marble surround of pilasters and frieze to two re-set tablets each depicting kneeling woman and children, the left to Mary Nelson, 1618 the right to Dorothy Nelson 1619 each with a verse. Large grey and white marble memorial to Bartholomew Tipping of Woolley 1757, panel with scroll supports below cartouche and crest under curved cornice surmounted by cup and flower drapery. Grey and white marble panel to Rev. Charles Musgrave 1768, surmounted by sculpture of female figure leaning on urn. Blandy Pew:- Aedicule in coloured marble to John Blandy 1742 surmounted by cartouche of arms, inscribed "Hicks of Newbury" on base. Wroughton Pew:- 9 marble monuments of varying style and size, the main central panel to Bartholomew Tipping 1798. Fittings:- re-set hexagonal pulpit C17-style timber, panelled with star marketry in panels, moulded base on cut off acanthus leaf capital. Norman tub font. V.C.H. Berkshire. Vol.iv. p.166; B.O.E. Berkshire p.111.

Listing NGR: SU4114877924

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 111
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ditchfield, P H and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire - Date: 1924 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 166

National Grid Reference: SU 41152 77924

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 09:04:01.