List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1210680

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, TOWN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of Stoke-on-TrentUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Oct-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 384505

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKE ON TRENT

613-1/8/57 TOWN ROAD 02-OCT-51 HANLEY (West side) Church of St John the Evangelist

II*



Church, now disused. 1788-90. Additions of 1872 by W.Palmer. Brick with stone dressings and slate roof with ridge cresting. West tower, nave and aisles, chancel. 4-stage tower with blind lower openings and housing for clock above. Bell chamber lights and castellated parapet, the castellations made up of panels of cast iron, bolted together, and with the bottom flanges and side end flanges bolted to supporting masonry. Neo-classical North doorways in east and west of north wall. 4 lower windows, and 6 in clerestory above, some with contemporary cast iron windows with intersecting tracery. The frames incorporate horizontal bars of wrought iron to support the fixings for leaded light. Square ended chancel with shallow polygonal apse: with the vestries to east of aisles, a later addition. INTERIOR: Most fittings and fixtures now missing, but gallery with panelled fascia supported on slender cast iron columns with plain capitals. Exposed roof trusses, supported by massive tie beams, with later casings, and added struts, and diagonally boarded panels to undersides of roof slopes. East window with painted glass of c.1830 depicting `Our Lord Blessing'. The figure of Christ is clad in purple robes, and standing beneath a Gothic canopy. Flanking windows also c.1830. Bell chamber with peal of 10 bells, the original peal of 8 bells cast by E. Arnold of Leicester and installed in 1791, supplemented by 2 additions in 1891, and all re-cast and rehung from a contemporary bellframe in 1923. HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE: The building is of exceptional interest because of the presence of early cast-iron structural and decorative components, notably the gallery columns, the window frames and the castellations. It is thought that these components are some of the earliest to have been used in any type of building in Britain, only those in St James', Liverpool having been identified as being earlier (1774-5). ( The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Harmondsworth).



Listing NGR: SJ8835947868

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Staffordshire - Date: 1974

National Grid Reference: SJ 88359 47868

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 01:01:33.