List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD BRICK HOUSE AND NO. 2 FORD HILL

List entry Number: 1210461

Location

2, FORD HILL
THE OLD BRICK HOUSE, FORD HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityLittle Hadham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Jun-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 395075

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4321 9/9

LITTLE HADHAM FORD HILL, Hadham Ford (south side)

The Old Brick House and No 2 Ford Hill (Formerly listed as Hollands Close and No 2 Ford Hill)

22.2.67

GV II*

House, now 2 houses, C16 and C17 (almost certainly the buildings mentioned in deeds in HRO as 'Le Holles' in 1507 and as 'Lee Holles and all that new created messuage or tenement adjoining' in 1666, the latter known by name of the brick house in 1725). A T-plan group facing N, with the upright of the T (No 2 Ford Hill), a long, C16, one and a half storeys timber frame brick clad range with steep old red tile gabled roof, 3 small gabled dormers on the wall plate and a large central chimney one-third of the way from the W end. Tall, 2 storeys and attic, C17 brick range (Hollands Close) with gabled old red tile roof at right angles across E end. Large chimney with 2 tall octagonal shafts with moulded bases and caps (rear cap missing in photo in VCH of 1914) at junction of wings, with gabled porch to lobby entry by stack. Plaster and tile modern single storey lean-to on N side and small 2 storeys weatherboarded modern extension at W rear corner. Lower range of 3 units with former open hall in middle, clasped purlin roof, close studded N side wall replaced in C19 brick, and C17 red brick parlour added at W end with chamfered external plinth offset. Large central chimney and floor inserted in hall in mid C17. Axial and cross beams have deep ovolo mouldings. Parlour chimney probably added in C18/C19. Small 2- light C19 casement windows and plank doors. Tall E part in C17 red brickwork with plinth and projecting band between Ground and 1st storeys. Irregular English bonding. Front has 1 window to each storey. 3-light wooden casements replace oak mullioned windows noted by VCH in 1914 and drawn by Buckler c.1834 (HRO). Lack of arches over openings probably an original arrangement. 2 windows on E side above roof of lean-to. Small vent slot in apex of front gable partly obscured by a modern shield. Ground floor one large room with chamfered and stopped axial beam, wide brick fireplace with depressed 4-centred arch, winding stair in projection beside chimney, on S, plank doors, entrance from lobby on N side of stack, and small service room partitioned from rear part of room marked by chamfer stops on axial beam. Chamber over has smaller depressed 4-centred brick fireplace with hollowed spandrels to chamfered jambs in 2 orders. Square sunk panel over as at Lower Farm, Bury Green. Axial beam chamfered and stopped as over Ground floor. Separate stair to attic floor. Side purlin roof. Documented buildings, illustrating clearly three stages in the transition from open hall house to multi-storey house, and from timber frame construction to the early use of brick for houses. (RCHM (1911) 146: VCH (1914) 50: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL4354821597

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire - Date: 1910 - Page References: 146
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1914 - Page References: 50

National Grid Reference: TL 43548 21597

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 10:38:28.