List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ART GALLERY COUNCIL HOUSE COUNCIL HOUSE EXTENSION

List entry Number: 1210333

Location

ART GALLERY, VICTORIA SQUARE B3
COUNCIL HOUSE EXTENSION, VICTORIA SQUARE B3
COUNCIL HOUSE, VICTORIA SQUARE B3

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BirminghamMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Jul-1982

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 217695

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

VICTORIA SQUARE 1. 5104 City Centre B3 25.4.52 Council House, 21.1.70 City Museum and Art Gallery and Council House extension (formerly listed as Art Gallery under Chamberlain Place and The Extension of the Council House and Art Gallery under Congreve Street) SP 0687 SE 29/1 SP 0686 NE 33/38 II* 2. 1874-9 by H R Yeoville Thomason. Stone; tile roof. Three storeys plus basement; 3 bay centrepiece plus 8 bay wings whose outer bays are advanced and carry segmental pediments. The centre piece with a wide and deep porte-cochere carrying a balcony behind which a central arch with mosaic tympanum by Salviati flanked by Corinthian piers and columns carrying a pediment with carved relief. Behind this, a dome on a high drum. Either side windows with shoulders and the first and second floors articulated by giant Corinthian pilasters. Inside, a grand staircase beneath the dome leads up to a suite of 3 reception rooms on the first floor with Corinthian pilasters and coffered ceilings. The Council Room is small and semi- circular. On the left hand return, the entrance to the City Museum and Art Gallery which occupies part of the same site. 1881-5 and also by Yeoville Thomason. In general design and decoration the building follows the Council House. The entrance up steps within a 2 storeyed portico with sculptured pediment. To its left 'Big Brum', a tall clock tower with tiled roof. At the head of the main staircase of the museum, a fresco, Corporation Street in March 1914, by Joseph Southall 1915-6. Joined to the main building by a bridge on a broad segmental arch over Chamberlain Square and bounded by Great Charles Street, Queensway B3, Congreve Passage B3, Chamberlain Square B3 and Margaret Street B3 is the Council House extension housing also the Feeney Art Galleries of the City Museum and Art Gallery. 1911-9 by Ashley and Newman. Stone. Two storeys plus basement and attic. In an Edwardian Renaissance rather than Baroque style with banded rustication to the ground floor and a giant order in the upper floors.



Listing NGR: SP0658387044

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 06583 87044

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 05:30:36.