List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MEMORIAL TO HEROES OF THE MARINE ENGINE ROOM

List entry Number: 1209973

Location

MEMORIAL TO HEROES OF THE MARINE ENGINE ROOM, ST NICHOLAS PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 359429

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ3390 ST NICHOLAS PLACE (west end) L3

27/1075 Memorial to "heroes of the marine engine room"

14.3.1975 GV II* Monument. 1916. By Sir William Goscombe John, originally designed to commemorate the engineers of the SS Titanic. Banded granite obelisk, 14.5 metres high rising from a pedestal set on a tall square chamfered plinth. On the east and west faces of the pedestal are carved life-size figures of the Engine Room Heroes'- stokers on the east face and engineers on the west. On the corners at the foot of the obelisk, at a level above the heads of the figures are carved representations of Water (north-west), Earth (north-east), Fire (south-east), and Air (south-west). Between these, stylised waves in low relief, from which, on each face, a rising sun emerges. At the top of the obelisk, on each face, a draped female form, depicting the sea. The figures grasp between them breech buoys, and thus form an encircling group of figures set beneath the gilded torch flame which crowns the monument. An inscription on the south face of the pedestal reads THE BRAVE DO NOT DIE/ THEIR DEEDS LIVE ON FOR EVER/ AND CALL UPON US/ TO EMULATE THEIR COURAGE/AND DEVOTION TO DUTY' On the north face, the inscription reads ALL HEROES OF THE / MARINE ENGINE ROOM/ THIS MEMORIAL/ WAS ERECTED BY/ INTERNATIONAL SUBSCRIPTION/ MCMXVI'. HISTORY: The memorial was originally intended to commemorate the 32 engineers of the Titanic' who remained at their posts to allow the greatest number of passengers to escape from the sinking liner. However, spaces were to be left to record other heroic deeds done by sea-going engineers'. However, because of the very high loss of life at sea during the progress of the First World War, it was thought appropriate to dedicate the monument to all maritime engine room fatalities. The memorial had a considerable influence upon the design of post -1919 war memorials, particularly in respect of the portrayal of the ordinary' man or woman, rather than of members of social or military elites. It is thought to be one of the most artistically- significant memorials to the Titanic' disaster on either side of the Atlantic.

Listing NGR: SJ3374490386

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 33744 90386

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 09:35:15.