List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1209882

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST JAMES' PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 359399

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3589 SW ST. JAMES' PLACE L8

59/1045 Church of St. - James

G.V. II*

Church. Nave and west tower, 1774-5, C.Bisbrowne. Chancel, 1900, H.Havelock Sutton. Brick with stone dressings. Nave of 5 bays with 2 tiers of windows. Sill bands and cornice with stone-coped brick parapet. Round-headed windows have flat architraves and impost blocks, the western windows are blocked (1984). 4-stage tower has sill bands, cornice and embattled brick parapet. Round-headed windows. The 3rd stage has 3-face clock above windows. Top stage has paired, louvred bell openings. West entrance has stucco flat architrave with decorated frieze and consoled cornice (now damaged 1984). Flanking porches probably c.1900. Chancel has organ chamber to north and vestry under lean-to-roofs. Triple round-headed lights and east window with round tracery. Interior has gallery on 3 sides on slender quatrefoil columns. Arch-braced collar roof has pendants and wall piers with some corbel heads. Round chancel arch and barrel vaulted chancel. Round-arched opening to organ chamber. Stained glass east window by H. Holiday 1881; other windows mostly broken and lower windows have inserted C20 louvres to lower halves (1984). Several wall tablets dating from 1790s to 1840s. Said to have C18 iron sword rest. The cast iron columns supporting the galleries are the earliest remaining example in Liverpool and one of the earliest examples in the country.

Listing NGR: SJ3527789049

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 35277 89049

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 02:53:23.