List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CUMBRIAN HOTEL

List entry Number: 1209676

Location

THE CUMBRIAN HOTEL, COURT SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Nov-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Apr-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386692

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARLISLE

NY4055NW COURT SQUARE 671-1/12/105 (South side) 13/11/72 The Cumbrian Hotel (Formerly Listed as: COURT SQUARE County Hotel)

GV II

Hotel built as The County and Station Hotel, latterly The County Hotel. Dated and inscribed on pediments G.H.H. (George Head Head, a Carlisle Banker) 1852; by Anthony Salvin; 1866-8 extension by Cory and Ferguson of Carlisle. Partly rusticated stucco on chamfered plinth with rusticated pilaster quoins, string course, sill band and cornice. Graduated greenslate mansard roof with shaped pedimental dormers; C20 copper pavilion roof on tower with ornamental rail to apex. Panelled stucco ridge and gable chimney stacks. Main facade, 3 storey, 5 bays with 15-bay return; further 2 bays at left over archway of Collier Lane; left projecting 5-storey, 3-bay tower is an 1866-8 addition. Main facade has central C20 glazed doors up steps in quoined segmental arch, under a glazed canopy. Raised pilastered bay above surmounted by a segmental pediment with decorative coat-of-arms. Sash windows, those on upper floors with glazing bars; cornice hoods on first floor, pedimental over entrance; second floor smaller windows, that over entrance with festoon; shaped dormers. Left bays have C20 shop door and window; the archway is quoined with head keystone; sash windows similar to facade but without second floor sill band and dormers without pediments. Return of facade was added C19. C20 bay windows but original rusticated pilasters and overall signboard. Top storey has 5 round-headed window arcade in pilastered suround with balustraded aprons. Bracketed cornice and open fretted parapet. INTERIOR: The main rooms have elaborate ribbed plaster ceilings on ground floor; the ballroom which forms part of the 1866-8 extensions is of particular interest retaining much original detail, but otherwise rooms extensively altered to meet modern requirements. A labyrinth of cellars. HISTORY: The Carlisle Journal, 20 December 1851 records "the building of the new hotel in Court Square has this week been let by tender to Mr Robinson of Penrith. The cost is to be ยป11,900". Queen Victoria visited the hotel for a meal in 1853 (Cumberland News, 30 December 1983). Meason (1859) gives an engraving of the hotel with the Collier Lane arch (some think this was added later see Robinson (1986)). For further details see Allibone (1988). An 1865 photograph shows that the tower had not yet been built. Plans for the 1866 additions, using Fox and Barrett's fireproof floors are in Cumbria Council Record Office, CA/E4/766 and 773. (Carlisle Journal: 20 December 1851; Cumberland News: 30 December 1983; Meason, George: Illust. Guide to the Lancaster, Carlisle and Caledonian Railways: 1859-: P.56; Robinson, Peter W: Rail Centres: Carlisle: 1986-: P.97-8; Allibone, Jill: Anthony Salvin: 1988-: P.183-184).

Listing NGR: NY4026255556

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Allibone, J, Anthony Salvin Pioneer of Gothic Revival Architecture 1799-1881, (1987), 183-184
Meason, G, Guide to the Lancaster Carlisle and Caledonian Railways, (1859), 56
Robinson, P W , Rail Centres Carlisle, (1986)
'Carlisle Journal' in 20 December, (1851)

National Grid Reference: NY 40262 55556

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 07:59:59.