List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1209640

Location

2-6, QUEEN'S PLACE
41, FIRST AVENUE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 365605

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOVE

TQ2904NW QUEEN'S PLACE 579-1/18/99 (North side) Nos.2-6 (Consecutive)

GV II

Includes: No.41 FIRST AVENUE. Mews, now garages with dwellings above. 1879, altered C20. Yellow stock bricks, moulded bricks for quoins and other detailing, shallow pitch hipped slate roofs, overhanging eaves, carried on shaped brackets at east and west ends, tall panelled brick stacks with moulded caps surviving on west front, variety of other stacks. North range of mews with west end fronting Second Avenue and east end fronting First Avenue; the First Avenue elevation is the more complete. One-and-a-half storeys, segmental-headed attic window cutting through eaves flanked by 2 casement windows, one bay of the 3-bay segmental-headed blind arcade survives, the 2 bays to left obscured by fascia of Ladbroke's with inserted betting shop. Pair of rusticated gatepiers with ball finials adjoining to left. East end with similar attic window, otherwise unlit, heads of arcade visible above fascia for Hugh's of Hove, ground floor gutted with car showrooms. Pair of rusticated gatepiers adjoining to right. Elevation to mews with mixed fenestration, variety of garage doors. No.1 is known as No.41 First Avenue (West side). The mews are shown on the 1875 OS map. Forms part of a good group with Nos 7-12 (consec) Queen's Place (qv). (Hove Borough Council Building Records).

Listing NGR: TQ2927004631

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 29270 04631

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 10:19:56.