List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1209472

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, RECTORY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WorcestershireWyre ForestDistrict AuthorityStourport-on-Severn

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 393378

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOURPORT ON SEVERN SO 8071 SW RECTORY LANE, Areley Kings (North west side) 589-1/7189 Church of St Bartholomew 5/7/50

GV II*

Anglican church. Norman, C14, C15 and C18 remains; remainder rebuilt in 1885-6 by F Preedy. Norman masonry in chancel; 3-stage south tower, first stage and lower courses of second stage are C14, upper courses of second stage and third stage are C15. Sandstone ashlar with some brickwork in chancel, plain tiled roofs with ridge cresting. Nave, north aisle, chancel, south tower and NE vestry. South door entered through tower of which the lower one and a half stages are limestone, the upper section sandstone but with limestone parapet. Diagonal buttresses, plinth and string-course defining simple moulded archway. 2-light Decorated window in upper storey, stair turret in western angle. Nave and north aisle externally coursed and squared red sandstone, patched with grey sandstone. Decorated windows to south and north walls belong to rebuilding of 1885. Coped western gables with finial crosses. Narrow west door with double chamfered arch and hoodmould, beneath Decorated window. Small projecting late C19 vestry to north with gathered chimney. Chancel is coursed and squared white and red sandstone with buttresses to centre and angles of E wall. Stone and C18 brickwork in gable apex. East window is 2-centred with simple Y tracery, probably late C18. 2 oval memorial stones with no visible inscription to each side of window. Small round arched C12 window in south wall of chancel. INTERIOR faced with red sandstone in 1885-6, though a section of the medieval wall material survives around the south doorway. North aisle arcade of alternate cylindrical and polygonal shafts, clustered shafts to chancel arch. Nave has arch-braced roof springing from corbels. Early font base with cable decoration, the bowl itself a C19 replacement in a similar style. Carved wooden eagle lectern. Late C19 polygonal pulpit and seating. East end re-ordered. Royal Arms and hatchment in north aisle. Some late C18 and early C19 memorials around south doorway: a marble tablet with engaged shafts and funerary urn commemorates Mary and John Adams, erected 1783, and a simple inscribed slab surmounted byan urn commemorates Betty and John Benbow, d1805 and 1820. In the chancel, the memorial for John Zachary, d1802 is an inscribed marble slab surmounted by a wide obelisk bearing crest and arms. SOURCE: Buildings of England, p.71.



Listing NGR: SO8020071018

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 71

National Grid Reference: SO 80200 71018

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 04:49:34.