List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN (OLD)

List entry Number: 1209421

Location

CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN (OLD)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Isle of WightUnitary AuthorityYarmouth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 393245

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YARMOUTH

SZ38NE THORLEY 1354-0/5/406 CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN (Old Church) 21/07/51

GV II*

Remains of former Parish church, now a mortuary chapel. C13 porch with bellcote over remaining from a church built of Amicitia, wife of Baldwin de Redvere, Earl of Devon, which was demolished in 1871 when the modern church was built at Thorley Street and the remains of the old church were converted into a mortuary chapel. Built of stone rubble with tiled roof. Gable ended. All corners have angled buttresses. South front has 3 centred doorway over which is a tablet with the inscription "This mortuary chapel was built in May 1871. The Ancient portion formed the bell turret of the old Church of Thorley" C19 diagonally planked door. Above is a lancet window. East and West sides have rectangular bell openings with dripmould below and louvred shutters. North side had double lancet window. (N. Pevsner: B O E Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: 771).

Listing NGR: SZ3671189139

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 771

National Grid Reference: SZ3671189139

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 03:06:28.