List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NINGWOOD MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1209391

Location

NINGWOOD MANOR HOUSE, WELLOW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Isle of WightUnitary AuthorityShalfleet

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 393171

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHALFLEET

SZ48NW WELLOW ROAD 1354-0/6/271 Ningwood Manor House 18/01/67

GV II*

Manor house, now house. Part of rear wing is of c.1650 with principal range of c.1784 built by John Pinhorn and an early C19 extension to the rear. South front of c.1780 is of coursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings and rusticated quoins. Slate roof with end stone chimney- stack. 2 storeys 5 windows. 12-pane sashes with horns. Central door-case with wooden Tuscan portico and 6 panelled door approached up a flight of 5 stone steps. Moulded stone eaves cornice and most unusual balustrade with 3 fluted urns, the central one with swags, and 4 sections of balustrading and 2 sections with chinoiserie panels. To the rear are stone rubble wings with hipped tiled roofs, the left hand section having stone plinth. 1st floor has one 12-paned sash, 1 triple casement and a double casement and a C19 casement to the ground floor. The centre part is recessed with 2 1st floor 12-pane sashes and 2 ground floor 16-pane sashes. Interior has c.1784 staircase with 3 turned balusters to each step and plastered soffit. One of the original Domesday Manors, in the C12 it passed to the Priory of Christchurch and remained as a monastic grange until 1536. In 1784 John Pinhorn Esq., a banker in London and a native of Newport built the south wing. (C W R Winter: The manor Houses of the Isle of Wight: 109 - 110; Blackmansbury Nos 5 & 6 (Oct and Dec 1970): 82 - 87).

Listing NGR: SZ4015288797

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Winter, CWR , The Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight109-110
'Blackmansbury' in December, , Vol. 6, (1970), 82-87
'Blackmansbury' in October, , Vol. 5, (1970), 82-87

National Grid Reference: SZ 40152 88797

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 02:08:30.