List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALL SAINTS CHURCH

List entry Number: 1209349

Location

ALL SAINTS CHURCH, CHURCH PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Isle of WightUnitary AuthorityFreshwater

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 393063

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/09/2012

SZ38NW 1354-0/4/174 18/01/67

FRESHWATER CHURCH PLACE All Saints Church

II*

Parish church. This may contain the remains of a Saxon 2 cell church but the nave arcades are late C12, the windows are C13 and the tower is C15, the whole much restored 1872-4. Built of Isle of Wight stone rubble with tiled roof. Nave and aisles with west tower and chancel with north and south chapels. Central west tower with C13 arched doorway and window below and giant arch supporting upper part of the tower which is C15, crenellated, with corner stone finials. South aisle has 4 windows, mainly double lancets with quatrefoils over. C19 gabled south porch with kneelers, cross-shaped saddlestone and arched doorcase. South chapel has 1 double pointed arched window. North aisle has 4 windows, mainly double lancets, with quatrefoil and plain lancet at the end. Gabled north porch and gabled north vestry. C19 chancel with 3 double lancets with trefoils. Interior has late Norman nave of 3 bays having cylindrical piers and square abaci with slight chamfer of c.1200, lengthened by 1 bay in C13. The transept responds are also of c.1200. C19 roof of arch braced type. Nave has C17 marble wall plaque with skull above and coat of arms and 2 Georgian wall plaques. Coat of Arms of Queen Victoria 1857 over North porch. Aisles have C19 scissor-braced roof. South aisle has late C14 Compton brass, Knight with lion. South chapel has late C13 tomb recess, cusped with pierced quatrefoiled circles. Chancel, which was extended in 1872-4 has Victorian roof of arch-braced type. Memorial to Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809-1892) who is buried in Westminster Abbey. (Pevsner: B.O.E. Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: 744).

Listing NGR: SZ3470487305

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 744

National Grid Reference: SZ 34704 87305

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 04:05:09.