List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NEWTOWN TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1209336

Location

NEWTOWN TOWN HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Isle of WightUnitary AuthorityCalbourne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 393023

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CALBOURNE

SZ49SW NEWTOWN 1354-0/2/133 Newtown Town Hall 18/01/67

GV II*

Former Town Hall, now owned by National Trust. c1699 with late C18 alterations. 3 sides are red brick, the 4th side is yellow brick. Hipped tiled roof. South front has stone end quoins, 2 round-headed windows with intersecting glazing bars and late C18 wooden porticos with 4 Tuscan columns and dentil frieze. 6 panelled door, the top 4 panels fielded, the lower 2 flush. East front has no windows but a projecting brick chimneystack. West front is in English bond and has 4 tall round-headed windows with stone architraves, keystones, impost blocks and intersecting glazing. Basement has 4 original wooden casements with leaded lights on pintle hinges. North front is of yellow mathematical tiles in Flemish bond with early C18 stone doorcase with moulded cornice and 6 panelled door and flight of stone steps with iron handrail. Basement has late C17 chamfered stone doorcase with wooden 6 panelled doors. Interior has Council Chamber or Court Room with early C18 panelling and 2 panelled doors with deep fielded panels. Iron firegrate. Mayor's Parlour and Robing Room to south. Early C19 cast iron spiral staircase leading to basement. A town named Francheville existed on this spot in the Middle Ages, to which Aymer de Valance, Bishop of Winchester 1250-62, granted a Charter of Incorporation. This was confirmed by Edward II, Edward IV and Elizabeth. In 1377 the town was totally destroyed by the French, and thereafter the new town which replaced it was renamed Newtown. Queen Elizabeth granted it the right to return two Members of Parliament. By the C18 the place had dwindled to a village and was one of the "rotten boroughs" disenfranchised by the Reform Act of 1832. Among the Members who had represented it were John Churchill, later Duke of Marlborough, in 1678 and George Canning in 1796. The former borough is now only a very small hamlet.

Listing NGR: SZ4237090564

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 42370 90564

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 11:19:40.