List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SWAINSTON MANOR

List entry Number: 1209329

Location

SWAINSTON MANOR, NEWPORT ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Isle of WightUnitary AuthorityCalbourne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 393008

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CALBOURNE

SZ48NW NEWPORT ROAD 1354-0/6/120 Swainston Manor 21/07/51 II*

Former manor house, now hotel. 3 builds. South east wing north section dates from c.1177 with C13 hall and chapel to north. This part was originally a manor house belonging to the bishops of Winchester as Abbots of the Monastery of St Swithin at Winchester and the C13 part was probably built by Richard of Ely, Bishop of Winchester 1268-80. Attached is a large house of c1750 built by the Barrington family and altered c.1790. The building was gutted by an incendiary bomb which fell on it in the 2nd World War but has been rebuilt. South front east side has Great Hall of c.1177, partly flint partly stone rubble with stone quoins. Tiled roof with tumbling in to gable. Left gable end has arched stone window and blocked arch below. Front has pointed arched doorcase to Great Hall approached by wooden steps, 2 C13 lancets and 3 pointed arched windows with C18 leaded lights. To basement level are a 4-centred arched stone doorway and 3 brick window surrounds with C20 casements. East elevation has arched window with 3 lancets below with 3 circular lights above. Cross-shaped saddlestone to gable. 2 lancets in south wall, arched doorcase at 1st floor level and similar arched doorcase below. Attached C12 3 storey stone rubble wing to north with C12 double lancet window to east. Interior of Great Hall and chapel has C20 roof of arch braced type with curved queen posts and windbraces which probably copied the late mediaeval roof destroyed by the bomb. Western part of the building is c.1750 refronted c.1790 but built on the foundations of an earlier C16 house. Built of ashlar with cemented chimneystacks. 2 storeys. North front has centre of 3 bays and 2 projecting wings of 3 bays each all with 12-pane sashes. Centre ground floor has Tuscan columns with fluted capitals, frieze with paterae and pediment above with balustrading. Behind the pediment are 2 round-headed windows and double doors. Projecting wings have pediments with 3 12-pane sashes below and 2 3-light curved bays with 12 pane sashes. West front has 5 sash windows of mid C18 house with projecting early C19 ground floor with 5 tall windows to ballroom. To right is 1 bay extension of c.1790 with 1st floor 12-pane sash and round-headed windows to ground floor. North front has parapet with stone coping, moulding cornice and stringcourse. 8 12-pane sashes to 1st floor and French windows to ground floor with cast iron balustrade with diamond and circle patterns. Porch with columns, round-headed arches and balustrading. East front is of 3 storeys, the upper floor of white brick, the lower floors of stone rubble. Attached is C18 stable range. 2 storeys stone rubble with brick stringcourse. Tiled roof, hipped at one end. 3 12-pane sashes. Ground floor has 4 cambered casements and round-headed doorcases. Entrance hall has 2 pairs of Ionic columns, doorcases with reeded architraves and paterae. Lounge has late C18 marble fireplace with engaged Tuscan columns and central panel with urns, swags and paterae. Cellar has the remains of a stone late C16 or early C17 door frame. The earliest reference to Swainston is in a charter of King Egbert of 827. This is the oldest standing domestic building in the Isle of Wight. Alfred Lord Tennyson is supposed to have composed Maud here while visiting his friend Sir John Simpson. (N. Pevsner: B.O.E. Hampshire and The Isle of Wight: 736; C W R Winter: The Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight: 147 - 151).

Listing NGR: SZ4410887818

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Winter, CWR - Title: The Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight - Page References: 147-151
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 23 Isle of Wight - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight - Date: 1967 - Page References: 736

National Grid Reference: SZ 44108 87818

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 03:26:23.