List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST CATHERINE'S LIGHTHOUSE

List entry Number: 1209275

Location

ST CATHERINE'S LIGHTHOUSE, ST CATHERINE'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Isle of WightUnitary AuthorityNiton and Whitwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 392863

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NITON AND WHITWELL

SZ47NE ST CATHERINE'S ROAD (OFF) 1353-0/5/233 St Catherine's Lighthouse 18/01/67

GV II

Lighthouse. Built 1838-40. Designed by Walker and Burgess and altered in 1875 when, on account of mist the height was reduced to 86 feet by the removal of the upper stage and part of the middle stage. Stuccoed octagonal tower of 2 stages. Machicolations and castellated parapet surmounted by conical light and ball finial and weathervane. In 1932 a lower tower of 2 storeys, reproducing the design of the main lighthouse as shortened, but with an open arcade on the ground floor, was added on the south side to mount the foghorn. These 2 towers are known locally as the Cow and the Calf. To the west of the main Lighthouse tower is a doorway with the date 1838 over it and a projection on the ground floor with gable above. Attached to the east is the Head Lighthouse keeper's house of 1 storey with curved front and round headed window facing east. This lighthouse was one of the first in the world to be illuminated by electric light being fitted with it in 1888. This is the third lighthouse to be built, the lst being the old mediaeval pharos attached to St Catherine's Oratory, the 2nd being an unfinished lighthouse started in 1785 beside it but abandoned don account of dense mists. St Catherine's lighthouse was built as a result of the wreck of the 'Clarendon' in Chale Bay on the 11th October 1836.

Listing NGR: SZ4981275339

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 49812 75339

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 10:33:19.