List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1209229

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Isle of WightUnitary AuthorityGodshill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 392733

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GODSHILL

SZ5268 CHURCH HILL 1353-0/7/128 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS 18/01/67

GV I

Parish church. Lower part of west tower, chancel east window, south chapel windows and transepts early C14. Perpendicular 6 bay arcade to nave and chancel (replacing early C14 arcade). C15 south transept roof C16 top of tower, C17 south aisle west window, Nave north window and south transept bell cote and C18 remodelling of north transept and Worsley chapel and south porch. Built of Isle of Wight stone rubble with ashlar quoins and south porch. Tiled roof. Double 3 bay nave, leading to double 3 bay chancel without division, (the north now used as a chapel), North and south transepts (the latter with sanctus bell in niche in gable end), south porch and west tower. West tower: lower part is early C14. Square shape of 3 stages with stepped buttresses. The lowest stage has an arch with double cusped head and quatrefoil window above. Middle stage has early C14 lancet. Top stage is C16 with stone double lancet bell openings with pierced stone screens. Crenellated parapet with 8 pinnacles and cornice with grotesque waterspouts. Double nave: Perpendicular with angled buttresses. South aisle west window is early C17. 4 bay arched mullioned and transomed window with hood moulding. The south side has one double lancet with hood moulding and one triple lancet. North side has 2 buttresses, one cinquefoil-headed lancet and a wider arched window with drip moulding. South porch is mid C18. Gabled with kneelers. Round-headed arch with keystone and impost blocks. Stone benches with wooden seats. To the right of the south door is a mediaeval stoup restored in 1918. South transept is early C14. South window with triple cinquefoil headed lights with trefoils above in arched window with hood moulding. Angled buttresses and C17 sanctus bell in niche in gable. South chancel has to south 3 arched windows with double trefoiled heads with trefoil and quatrefoil motifs above. East window has reticulated tracery. North chancel has an east window with intersecting tracery and one double trefoiled window with trefoil and quatrefoil motifs above. North transept is early C14 remodelled in C18 to form the Worsley chapel. Angled buttresses and deep plinth. Round-headed window with keystone and impost blocks. Interior: Naves have C15 Perpendicular 6 bay arcade with octagonal columns on square bases. Roof has tie beams, collar beams, purlins and brackets. South door is late Mediaeval, of 6 planks studded. Early C14 arch through to west tower with 3 continuous chambers. Opposite the south porch is a painting by Rubens or school of Rubens depicting Daniel in the Lions' Den. 3 hatchments. Monument to Sir Richard Worsley Bart. Comptroller of the Household, Privy Councillor and Governor of the Isle of Wight (d.1803) in south west of nave. Oval stone plinth bearing oval stone sarcophagus, fluted at ends with carved foliated side panels, 6 clawed feet and vitruvian scroll panel above plinth. Chancels: North chancel has trefoliated piscina in north wall, late C17 communion rail and late C17 or early C18 painting of the Ten Commandments held by a prophet and a soldier with sunrays between. Monument to James Worsley (d.1787) on left side of North transept by Bingley London. Wall tablet with black marble obelisk and white marble urn with grieving female mourner. Monument to Rev. Francis Worsley d.1808. A wall tablet with black marble obelisk and white flaming urn. Monument to Sir John Leigh and wife (d.1529) between chancel and north chapel. Alabaster effigies on chest with quatrefoil motifs with above, 4 centred arches with cusping and sub-cusping. Tracery panelling inside and traceried spandrels. Cresting with 3 angel busts bearing shields. Monument to Sir James Worsley of Appuldurcombe (d.1536) and wife (d.1557) in chancel north wall. 2 kneeling figures with lecterns in architectural surround with Ionic pilasters and frieze with sinuous foliage and central mask. Apex and corners of pediment have putti bearing shields. Monument to Richard Worsley (d.1565) in south wall of north chancel. Large standing monument with strapwork plinth and Vitruvian scroll with pilasters helm and gauntlets above. Monument to Stuart Worsley (d1708) in east wall of north chapel. An elaborate wall plaque with drapery, central shield, mourning cherubs in the corners and winged death's head below. Smaller and plainer C18 marble tablets to members of the Worsley family. North transept was completely remodelled to accommodate the monument to Sir Robert Worsley (d.1747) and his brother. This very large monument in the Roman style is inscribed but in the style of Scheemakers. This comprizes pink columns and pilasters supporting pediment with triglyph frieze with metopes of wolves heads and wreaths, crowned by military trophies. In the centre is an obelisk and plain tapering sarcophagus with 2 draped busts wearing Roman costume. 2 mourning putti, one with anchor the other leaning against a column, stand in front of the pilasters. South transept has a fine C15 wagon roof with plastered panels, central boss and grotesque heads on arches. The east wall has a celebrated C15 or early C16 wall painting of Christ hanging from a foliated cross of 3 boughs in leaf. (B.O.E. Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: The foliated cross is illustration 41: 746 -747; VCH: 175).

Listing NGR: SZ5272481822

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight - Date: 1912 - Volume: 5 - Page References: 175
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight - Date: 1967 - Page References: 746-747

National Grid Reference: SZ 52723 81826

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 06:57:43.