List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1209203

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHALE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Isle of WightUnitary AuthorityChale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 392665

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHALE

SZ47NE CHALE STREET 1353-0/5/64 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW 18/01/67 II*

Parish church. Chancel, south or Manor chapel and the Nave and aisles are C14. In the C15 the Manor chapel was lengthened eastwards, the Nave and aisles westwards and the north and south porches and west tower added. East end of chancel added in 1832 to make it flush with the east end of the Manor chapel. Built of Isle of Wight stone rubble with tiled roof. Nave, north and south aisles, south chapel, north and south porches and west tower. West tower C15 of 2 stages coursed stone rubble with higher octagonal stair turret and crenellated parapet. Lancet to bell stage with quatrefoil motif. Buttresses. Plinth. Lower stage has west window with 3 lancets with cusped heads under dripmoulding. South porch C15 of stone, gabled with round-headed arch. Interior has remains of stone stoup with trefoil head. North porch also C15, stone with gable and cross-shaped saddle stone. Nave has 3 cinquefoil headed lights, 1 single, 2 double. South aisle has 3 double cinquefoil-headed lights, the right hand one with hood moulding. Interior: Nave has 2 bay south arcade with round piers, square abacus chamfered at the corners and pointed arches with one slight chamfer. Third bay is Perpendicular. Entrance to rood loft c.1300. Arch to Manor Chapel. Nave has piscina with elaborate Perpendicular brackets. Octagonal stone font. South aisle has stone wall monument to Richard Burleigh rector of Chale d.1734. Open pediment at the top crowned by heaped books. Black marble oval plaque and metal coat of arms beneath. Manor chapel has piscina in south wall with shelf over. North wall has monument to Sir Henry Worsley of the Bengal Army d.1841, a marble wall plaque with crest above flanked by Bengal lancers. Oak frieze and cusped arch. C12 round-headed arch to south chapel with moulded impost block. Some stained glass of 1860s, rest by C.E. Kempe in 1890s. (B.O.E. "Hampshire and the Isle of Wight": 740).

Listing NGR: SZ4832377567

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 740

National Grid Reference: SZ 48323 77567

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 01:40:44.