List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1209141

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityAshby Parva

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 392493

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHBY PARVA MAIN STREET SP58NW 1323-0 3/4 (South side) 11/01/55 Church of St Peter II*

Parish church. Possible C12 origins, rebuilt later C14; restored with chancel and porch rebuilt by J P St Aubyn in 1866. Rubble stone with some ashlar; stone quoins, dressings and gable coping. Plain tiled roofs, swept down over vestry to south of chancel. Tower, nave with north porch, chancel with south vestry. Two stage unbuttressed tower, the upper stage slightly inset over dripmould. Two-light belfry openings with C15 windows, restored C19, in upper stage and west window to lower stage of two lights with quatrefoil, probably C14, restored in C19. Chancel with two windows to south and one to north, all C14, restored 1866. Ashlar-work to left of porch on north side of nave, projecting and marking position of rood stair. Elliptical arch to south doorway. Gabled north porch. Nave with two windows to south. Interior: no aisles, though nave appears to have been built out in C14, leaving chancel off-centre. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Two doorways to the left of chancel arch both with recessed Tudor-arched surrounds, formerly the doorways to the rood-loft. One window reveal in nave with short, squat columnar respond, possible C12. Fittings: C19 benches, screen and pulpit. Font: C12 with hemispherical bowl on C19 base. West window by Lavers and Barraud, 1866. Sculptural relief in white marble, C18, perhaps North Italian. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Williamson E, Brandwood G: Leicestershire and Rutland: London: 1984-: 87).

Listing NGR: SP5256888626

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 87

National Grid Reference: SP 52568 88626

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 11:42:52.