List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST PAUL'S CHURCH

List entry Number: 1208912

Location

ST PAUL'S CHURCH, ST PAUL'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityIslingtonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 369323

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3284NE ST PAUL'S ROAD 635-1/48/822 (South side) 20/09/54 St Paul's Church

II*

Church. 1826-28 by Sir Charles Barry. Grey brick with stone dressings, roofs of slate. Perpendicular in style, with east tower, flanked by vestries, nave and aisles. The tower is in three stages, with an arched entrance in the east side, elaborately moulded and chamfered, leading to a vaulted tower hall, and a three-light window over; clock in the second stage, bell-chamber in the third, and embattled parapet; angle buttresses with offsets terminating in pinnacles. The aisles and nave read as five bays with two-light windows between offset buttreses, the nave extending slightly westwards beyond the aisles; parapets to both. The gabled west end has an arched door under a tall three-light window with reticulated tracery, the upper lights having ogee heads. Angle buttresses terminating in pinnacles, parapeted gable. Single-storey vestries at the east end, flanking the tower, have canted ends with lights in all three facets, obscured at the time of inspection by boards INTERIOR: . At the ritual east end the tower is open in its middle stage; below this a seven-bay blind arcade with crocketed gables and balustrade forms a reredos; the open stage has a vaulted roof framed by a four-centred arch; a little forward of this is a higher four-centred arch with triple wave-moulding flanking the shallow chancel. Encaustic tiling to the chancel floor, and extending into the nave beyond the first bay. Five-bay arcade to the nave with compound piers, an inner order, and pointed arches; galleries in the north and south aisles with panelled fronts, carried over the ritual west end on two pairs of cast-iron columns. Three four-centred arches to west end leading to entrance porch; panelled roof to nave of shallow pitch supported on arched braces, and similar roofs to aisles. The roof of the north aisle, and much of the plasterwork and decoration in the church had been removed for refurbishment when this description was made.

Listing NGR: TQ3269384798

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32693 84798

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 03:50:06.